• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Consent...

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Solara What analogy would you use, if not a checklist of specifics? Tea refers to date rape. Heard a good one today - rape is like murder except you didn't die. So, yeah not like bad tea, or too much tea, or the milk. The post is for those that don't understand non-consentual. Maybe coffee for other markets.

And this means that I was raped, no questions asked even, I said I wasn't feeling well. Yes, I had said yes the night BEFORE, but this next night I plainly stated that I was not feeling well and was then forced to have sex. I tried to fight it off, failed and I was raped. It was an awful experience.

Then after that, any night he wanted it, until I finally got the courage to run away from him, he took it with or without my consent, as I was too weak to fight him off. I even didn't bother trying to fight him off after that, as I knew I was not strong enough to do so.

I ran away to the other side of that city, where I hoped he would not find me. He stayed away then, and finally I moved some 600 miles away from there. I finally feel safe now, thankfully.

One other thing, he woke me that awful night from a sound sleep too.

I'd like to think that my body is a bit more precious than tea....

Ya, you think its a good analogy, but you fail to view the flip side. Someone comes along and says "yeah, its ONLY tea, so what's the big deal?" Oh, right, you'll dismiss their interpretation as simply being "wrong" saying that they don't "get it"....

Forcing tea on someone doesn't scar someone for life. We sit here and scream about not being taken seriously and then laud the comparisons to tea (of all things...)

Dumbing down the argument doesn't do anyone any favors. If anything, it makes the argument a bit more ridiculous because do you really think that those who don't get the not forcing sex on people bit are really going to say "OMG I totally get it now! Sex is like TEA!!!" Uhm, nope.

Those who get it ALREADY get it, and those who don't.....a tea analogy is not going to help them.

@Solara but it's not that black and white is it? It has been helpful already to a couple of people on the thread - it will make sense to some and not to others - we are all coming at this from a different unique perspective - you are entitled not to like it and I can understand why you feel that way, but we all have different maps. I don't see it as 'dumbing down' the argument I see it as showing up the argument as being totally ridiculous,

I'd like to think that my body is a bit more precious than tea....
It is.

In my opinion the analogy does not pretend that it isn't. In my opinion the use of the analogy is about showing that if we can recognise the notion of consent for something as simple and pretty insignificant as a cup of tea, then it's bloody common sense that it should follow for something as precious as our bodies.

In your opinion it's 'dumbing down'. In my opinion it's showing up the dumb in certain arguments.
Someone comes along and says "yeah, its ONLY tea, so what's the big deal?" Oh, right, you'll dismiss their interpretation as simply being "wrong" saying that they don't "get it"....
The point, as I see it, is that it's saying that EVEN IF it was only something as simple tea, you still don't have the right to force it on someone who doesn't want it. So for something more important OF COURSE you don't have the bloody right.

And no, I'm not dismissing your interpretation as wrong. I'm glad you came back to the thread to explain it. It's your opinion and you're entitled to it, just as much as I and everyone else here are entitled to theirs.

tea analogy is not going to help them
I'm sorry it doesn't help you. But it has helped some others.

It helped me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back