• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Constant Chatting With Myself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Me Myself and I

MyPTSD Pro
Since I remeber I always talk to myself, proper chatting not just thinking out load. And I kind of get used to it, maybe too much though it is starting to scare me.

I chat alone 24/7, sometimes answering my own questions, other just letting things that bother me out etc!!

I find it kind of therapeutic, as in, it somehow helps with keeping my thoughts and mind in order under control. Yet again I don't know wether there is a limit or line perhaps, between the "normal" self chat or "weird" one.

Just wondering!! :wacky:

Good question. I wish I knew the answer. I think a lot of us ruminate over and over. I have a lot of daydreaming about meeting up with significant people in my life and playing out how the dialog would go. Usually, it's not good.

You know, it could be completely normal too. Sometimes I hear software engineers talking to themselves in the bathroom, where, as we all know, some of the best ideas for technology come from.

There's a joke out there: "It's normal don't worry about it. You can even argue with yourself, and it's OK. However, if you lose an argument with yourself, get some help."

New member @otad12 mentioned something similar about maladaptive daydreaming. It seems to be the topic of the day. I think it's normal to a point. I know I often discuss things out loud when only I'm around.

I think talking out loud can be very therapeutic, sometimes your brain gets going & starts spilling out things you didn't realize were in there. As long as it's not interfering with the rest of your life, & as long as you're not replacing human contact with talking to yourself it should be okay :)

Yes I do this....But I have never told my therapist before. I have been doing it for over 10 years now.

Everything I do fits this:Link Removed

Wow I have been trying for sometime to put a name to the kind of daydreaming I do. The definition of Maladaptive daydreaming is exactly what I have been doing for a long time. Thanks Ayesha

Yeah I understand Ayesha I once tried to tell my Therapist about my daydreaming and was too ashamed to really explain it. I not sure why but telling anyone that I like my own daydreams better than actual reality seemed like a very bad thing to me.

My maladaptive daydreaming has subsided in adulthood, but I did this a lot in childhood/adolescence. Didn't realise that's what it was called until now. I also have little conversations with myself when I'm alone or if my partner's busy doing something else. I also have many conversations with the cat :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back