1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Cooking - Lets Share Favourite Recipes

Discussion in 'Social' started by Scott_Fraser, Jan 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott_Fraser

Scott_Fraser Well-Known Member

I love to cook, I learned this art as a junior in the army, I spent 2 years training for it.
    I do all the cooking in the house and I love it. If any of you guys could pass on any new recipes for me to try out I would be delighted.
    Cheers
    Scott:hello:

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

K, only if you promise to come here and cook since I hate it.. LOL

I'll kig up some of my fav recipes.. do you bake too?

bec

4. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member

Here's a US southern favorite. Chicken and Dumplins
    3 or 4 chicken breasts 1 egg beaten
    2 cups flour 1/2 tsp. baking powder
    3 tbsp. shortening (Crisco) not oil 1/2 tsp. salt
    1/3 to 1/2 cup chicken stock

Boil the chicken (skin on) untill done but not too long or it won't be tender. Pull stock from the boiling chicken and let it cool till just warm save the water you boiled the chicken in for later. Combine dry ingredients including the shortening. Add the beaten egg and cooled chicken stock. Knead dough and cut into thirds. Roll out the dough and cut into thin slices. Bring the water you cooked the chicken in to a low boil, put dumplins (Cut dough peices) into the chicken stock on low boil. I can't remember how long it takes just taste every now and then. It may become soupy so you might want to pull some of the water off as you go. It's really trial and error, thats how I came up with it. If you like curry add that too. Sorry I can't give exacts on this one, it's seat of the pants but it's gooooooooooooooooood.

5. cookie

cookie I'm a VIP

i cheat--get the chicken cooked at the walmart deli(rotissire chicken) pull the meat off, use the broth in the container, and some bullion, add water and thicken with a paste of flour/cold water. bisquick dumplings, lol. season. takes a half hour.

6. Scott_Fraser

Thanks folks. Ive a Scottish recipe that you all might like.
    Its called Stovies.
    You need
    4 Potatoes
    2 Carrots
    1 Onion
    4 sausages
    Gravy.

Cut up your potatoes (peel them first) and put them in a pan of water and boil for 20mins
    Same for carrots.
    Slice your onion and put in frying pan with a little veg oil and braise them.
    Slice up the sausages and add them to the onions.
    Once carrots and potatos are ready, drain them and add to the frying pan and mix them all in.
    Add 1/4 pint of gravy to pan and simmer for 25 mins. And serve.
    PS you can also use fish as well.

7. Scott_Fraser

Yes bec, I do bake, I make a mean Chocolate Gateaux:poke:

8. nugget

nugget Well-Known Member

Im looking for a good recipe for chilli sauce my bushes are loaded dont want to see them go to waste. Sweet sauce, or some form of paste would be good. Cheers Rob

9. Scott_Fraser

Hi Nugget, why don't you get your chillies and put them into a jar and cover them in vinegar, and pickle them, they last for years and taste great.
    Scott:hello:

10. cookie

cookie I'm a VIP

ok, scott, i keep checking for a recipe--when you gonna post one, hmmmmmm?(something chocolate would be a good place to start!)
    cathy

11. Scott_Fraser

Chocolate Gataeux

Hi Cathie. here is a recipe for a chocolate cake.
    200g Flour
    250g Butter
    200g Cooking Chocolate
    2 Eggs
    100g Icing Sugar
    100g Caster Sugar.
    100g Cocoa Powder

METHOD
    Mix your butter and caster suger together until white and fluffy. Add your eggs gradually to the mixture.
    Start adding your flour, Sieved into the mixture gradually. Keep on doing this until the mixture is thick but still white. Then start to add your cocoa powder and mix well in until the mixture turns tan in colour (You could use coffee as well, or instead of if you wish)
    Add your mixture into a greased baking tin and put into the oven at 200degrees and bake until the cake is dry inside, this can be done by gently putting a fork in and testing it. Bake for 25 mins.
    Whilst the cake is baking. Melt your chocolate in a bowl over a pot of boiling water. Once chocolate is melted remove from heat and place on a work surface.
    Start slowly mixing your butter and icing sugar into the chocolate and eventually you will have cocoa butter.
    Once cake is ready. Remove from oven and empty it out of baking tin onto a tray and allow to cool.
    Once cool, halve the cake through the middle and remove top half.
    Spread the cocoa butter across the cake, put in plenty.
    Put on the other half of the cake. And then slowly start to cover the entire cake in the cocoa butter.
    To add a bit of decoration to the top of the cake you could put some Mandarin Orange segments on top.
    Then enjoy, Preferably with your friends and not you. (Hope your not a Chocoholic)
    Cheers
    Scott:eek:ccasion:

12. cookie

cookie I'm a VIP

well, i um, had a lot of trouble with the metric system in school. i'll have to try to find some way to figure it out, probably something online for like 3 graders, lol. can't wait to try it, though.oh, i AM a chocoholic--no hope of recovery.
    cathy

13. goingonhope

goingonhope Member Premium Member

Marianaded Octopus

My Marine husb. really enjoys cooking these days. Marianated Octopus is one of his favorite's. He cooks and marianades it, and then needs to move fast before our son get's a hold of it. I love it too, but being much older than my 6 yr. old son, I'm fair with my share.

Husband's Tender Pulpi
    • Prepare marinade (combine all ingredients except lemon) and set aside:
    2 medium octopus
    1 cup olive oil
    1 cup of wine vinegar
    1 large onion
    1 tablespoon Greek oregano
    1 teaspoon pepper
    2 teaspoons rosemary
    • Place octopus in large pot with plenty of water.
    • Bring to a boil.
    • Continue boiling for 50 min.
    • Check for tenderness.
    • If not tender enough, continue boiling for 20 min. more.
    • Recheck for tenderness, ect. ect.
    • When octopus is tender enough, stop boiling, drain water and cut up.
    • Take cut up pieces and place in the marinade.
    Marinade overnight.
    • Optional: (Add ½ cup of lemon juice ½ hr. before serving).