• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Relationship Coping Strategies For Supporters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for sharing the article. I think it definitely applies to supporters.

I found strategy #2 hard to deal with sometimes, because I wish I could take some of the burden off my sufferer even though I try every day to practice the serenity prayer, lol.

I don't know about everyone else, but I get, more frequently than I'm comfortable with, the "I don't know if I want our relationship" or "I'm going to just leave and run away" and even though I know it's not him talking as it happens when he's triggered and I know he leans towards the running away coping as we've talked about in the past that's just what he's always done, if something has gotten to hard or stressful he would run or just cut the person out of his life (sorry about the long run-on). But it's still hard, especially with my own anxieties and insecurities as I'm only human, to take a step back and just remember that it's not my husband talking, but the PTSD and his self-critic/self loathing.

it's not my husband talking, but the PTSD and his self-critic/self loathing

Great point, but as you said it's hard and it hurts. I only have one friend I can talk to about all of this. Her husband has similar tendencies (not sure if he has been diagnosed with PTSD, but does have anger, depression and ADHD). I sometimes wish I could talk to more people about my real relationship with him. It sounds bizarre when I stop and think about it - well not bizarre, but not everyone thinks on a deep emotional level. Most people like to only think superficially about friend's relationships otherwise it just gets too uncomfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back