1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Costa Concordia

Discussion in 'News, Politics & Debates' started by Meadowsweet, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Meadowsweet

Meadowsweet VIP Member Premium Member

I'm sure most will have heard of it, but this is a giant cruise ship that recently sunk. I was watching people interviewed about it tonight, and I almost want to jump through the tv and make sure they get help early so that ptsd doesn't develop.

But, the sticking point about this disaster is the recordings of the coast guard speaking to the captain. The captain got in a life boat when passengers and crew were still struggling. In the recording of the lifeguard/captain converstation, the captain is evasive and mumbling and the lifeguard is ordering him to go back to his ship. The captain has been arrested and will no doubt stand trial for the manslaughter of the people who died.

From a personal perspective, I don't know what to feel. On one hand, I get so angry at the people who could have helped me and chose to look out for themselves first.

But, on the other hand, in a very strange state of shock after I was attacked, people calmed the attacker down, and I hugged him and said its ok. And hour later when he came back, I was incredibly angry and terrified, and ran away.

So I'm aware that emotional shock can have you doing things that make no sense at all to the rest of the world. And I figure this captain probably went into emotional shock and kind of acted out what he wanted to be happening, rather than reacting to the reality of the situation.

So one side of me is with the survivors and families of those who've died, and I'd be so so angry with him. But the other side of me is with this man, whose shock nobody will understand.

I don't know how to feel. I'm wondering how others feel about this?
    Nighthawlk and simplekindofgirl like this.
  2. simplekindofgirl

simplekindofgirl New Member

Well, the captain made several errors. One in not following the maps- both in print and on the GPS system. The maps on the GPS system are updated constantly with changes in formations, rocks, etc.

It is my understanding that he was trying to get as close as he could to the land in order to impress someone in which he brought up above into the captains controls area- he stated that he knew where the rocks were and it wouldn't be a problem, until it was a problem.

The captain is technically supposed to go down with the ship. Well, our natural instincts kick in and this is not possible. Our survival instinct can be quite strong. I do not at all have a problem with him wanting to survive. I do have a problem with the fact that he left the ship before all of the immediately rescuable passengers were in life rafts/boats. Even the harbormaster was screaming at him over the radio which acts as a loudspeaker system when in distress- get back to your ship, there are people who need your help, you need to help them.

I have a problem with the fact that it took the captain more than an hour after the boat made contact with the rocks to call out a distress signal and to begin the evacuation of the boat.

I have no problem with the accident, showing off or not. It was an accident, not an 'intentional', even if his decisions were of poor judgement. It is the blatant disregard for the safety of the people on board which were displayed by his actions following the collision that I have a huge problem with.

I am actually big on sailing. I have sailed, worked with large and small crews, I have been co captain. I know when I am on a boat what duties I am obligated to. I also know that the captain is responsible for all decisions- he made the call, and he failed, and he failed again, and he failed again, and again.

What does he deserve? I do not presume to know. I am not in the business of dealing out judgement. Is he guilty? Yes.
  3. Barberian

Barberian VIP Member

I didn't expect this topic to show up here, but will toss my 2 copper into the bin.

From what has been reported in the media, which I'm sure is incomplete. The Capt abandoned ship as soon as he knew the ship was going down. He did take the time to turn the ship towards land and ground the ship, but that could have simply been self preservation. He failed to notify the Coast Guard, he failed to notify the passengers in a timely manner to begin evacuation of the ship. He was trying to do damage mitigation to save his job and career, not ensure the safety of his passengers. The way he handled the entire situation is pure outright cowardice in my book. I have been put in life threatening situations, and stood my ground. I have been responsible for the safety of others that put my life at risk and I stood my ground. In my opinion, if you accept the job and it's responsibilities, you should be responsible enough to carry out those duties, and held accountable if you don't. I think he should be criminally liable for his actions including grounding a ship, abandoning ship during an emergency, and manslaughter for every life that was lost. I believe he should get life in prison for the combined loss of life and all the other charges against him.

Am I being harsh? YES! accept the job and it's pay, prestige, responsibilities, then accept the accountability if you fail. Particulary if you take unwarented risks of other peoples lives simply to impress someone. He was responsible for 6,000 lives.... 6,000 lives and he risked EVERY one of them simply to impress someone.
  4. simplekindofgirl

I do not think that you are being harsh. Not at all.

What he did by law- not following correct emergency procedure and in turn created human endangerment- is in fact criminal. A captain goes through vigorous studies, and must pass tests accordingly as to what type of certificate (or license) he is obtaining. When he obtains that license he knows and understands the proper procedure in the event of an emergency. The act of non-compliance with that procedure is in fact breaking moral, ethical and written laws.

He abandoned ship before he saw to the safety of his passengers. That is an abomination!

If he had done things properly after the collision, I would have nothing but empathy and compassion for him. But he did not. He did not send out the distress signal and he did not evacuate until far too late. Had he done those things, and stayed with the ship and continued in the rescue efforts until the last survivor and every body was accounted for, I would feel differently than I do. You make a mistake, you f*ck up, fine- but then hold yourself accountable for your bad decisions by making good choices from that moment on, on account of the safety of other people.

The collision itself was stupid, and preventable. But, it does happen when someone thinks they know more than they actually know. His actions following the accident, or his inactions since that is more accurate, that is absolutely criminal.

I did read a few days ago that some survivors (from the states) have already filed a class action lawsuit, civil of course, to the tune of (the current amount is) 460 million dollars. I know what my opinions of this are, I am wondering what anyone else thinks of this?
    Meadowsweet likes this.
  5. Meadowsweet

I do agree from the legal perspective. He has done something terrible, and he is responsible for that. So he has to face the consequences of his actions both legally and emotionally. And so he should, I wouldn't defend what he's done.

I think I just need to find understanding in situations like that.
  6. anthony

anthony MyPTSD Admin Staff Member Premium Member

What has been reported in Australia thus far, which was highlighted by taking out all the BS some other countries tried to purport... the captain has some fault by leaving the ship early, however; from the logs taken at the time, the captain hit the rocks and turned the ship for shore knowing damage had occurred and the ship was going down, thus giving passengers the best chance possible to survive.

I quite honestly doubt a captain of a cruise liner would do anything stupid to try and impress someone. Being the captain of a cruise liner is already impressive, and no doubt a position of responsibility, which doesn't lay with just the captain. There is a team of nautical engineers guiding those ships, not one person. The ship hit rocks...

Honestly, I wouldn't believe much in media who are known to sensationalise stories the same as tabloids do.

It's like reading a tabloid, someone has a picture of Brad Pitt from 18 months ago kissing some actress on the cheek after a lunch outing, they pull that photo and use it like it happened last week, as Brad had a secret affair luncheon behind Ange... wow, the gossip.

Most of the crap reported on the ship IMHO is so far gossip, apart from the captain leaving the ship before all passengers where evacuated, which is fact by his own admission.

I don't honestly think we're going to know what happened until that entire team of nautical engineers have stated their side of events, trying to piece together the full picture, along with data recorders and such being recovered from the ship to provide accurate data on what the ship did.
  7. simplekindofgirl

The fact of the matter is, it doesn't matter what he did- impressing someone or not. It was an accident. Plain and simple. Accident. I do not believe that he intentionally caused it. He could have misread a map, or possibly did not have the system update showing where rock formations were located, or he was just not alert enough and/or made some error in judgment for his co-ordinates- who knows really. And it doesn't matter because, well, crap happens.

The only problem that I have with it is the lack of a distress signal, and failure to immediately evacuate. He waited. That is not just tabloidism, that is reported fact from coastguard.

The moment you press that distress button, everyone is notified. Every single ship or harbor within a (minimum of) 55 kilometer range knows that there is a ship that is in distress and is given an exact longitude and latitude location so that any ships or boats within close proximity can assist. And they/we do. He did not even need to call a mayday over the radio- just push the button and assistance will head that way.

It was reported by passengers that after the boat hit, they were told that they should return to their rooms as the boat was experiencing electrical problems and the threat level was unknown.

There is also a report that has come from the coast guard that indicates that the ship was spotted in a 'blackout' and prompted the coast guard to make contact with the ship. The captain repeatedly told them that the ship was suffering from technical errors between 22:06 and 22:30 which was when the coast guard had put him under enough pressure to finally call out a mayday. The abandon ship order did not come for another 20 minutes at 22:51. The ships point of contact occurred at approximately 21:30.

At 11:40 he radioed from a lifeboat stating that he has left the boat ahead of passengers and was then ordered by coast guard to return to the ship, and he failed to comply.

I do not know why he waited. There was no reason for it.
    Meadowsweet, anthony and Chook like this.
  8. Chook

Chook Plodding along Premium Member

I feel it's either poor navigation (for what ever reasons) or a freak accident.

Who really knows,.... The media hype is so conflicting and sensationalised.

The captain may have been dinning and not directly in control of the ship.... Or been at the helm trying to impress a friend ashore.....He may have been busy chasing a young blonde around the table for all we know.

Only he knows his reasons for how and why he reacted after impact and during sinking.... It's all very noble to go down with the ship, or be the last off.....The captain may have simply panicked, felt he was going to die and survival instinct rather than training and responsibility kicked in.

Just like our own experiences, no one else can understand what we did and why...Unless they were there.

At the end of the day, this is a horrible incident
    Meadowsweet and anthony like this.
  9. Meadowsweet

I think when I watched this program, I was relating it to my own experiences.

For me, the people on the periphery, those who turn a blind eye, seemingly enable or use what happened to me to gain power for themselves are extremely difficult to understand. And I know that my reactions to dangerous situations are difficult for others to understand.

But this mans reactions in the immediate aftermath, I find easier to understand. I've been in a state of dis-belief, when what just happened doesn't sink in and your not reacting to what is there.
    Chook likes this.