• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Could i have ptsd? can chronic exposure to your phobia lead to ptsd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lemon Kittens

I am not sure whether or not I have PTSD, and I have not seen a mental health professional about this yet. I am hoping to get some insight and support here, meanwhile.

So here goes... Spiders! I didn't come across them very often until I moved to where I'm living now. For some reason, my place has a lot of spiders (I've hired an exterminator...useless). I didn't know about the spider problem before I moved in. Anyway, I developed a phobia of spiders in short time. I've been exposed to my phobia hundreds of times in the years that I've lived here. I've had a few spiders crawl on me, and it scared the nonsense out of me. I've also had spiders drop in front of my face while riding in a car. I don't see spiders every day, though I've had times when I had to deal with a hatching on my ceilings and more than one spider in a day.

I cannot enjoy myself in this home because of the spiders. I don't care how great spiders are, I can't stand all those creepy crawly legs and that they can hang from ceilings. I scan the walls and ceiling often. I'm at times hyper-vigilant and easily startled by a little movement or shadow. I have trouble going to bed at night, I feel nervous when I wake in the middle of the night, and I've stayed awake until morning lots of times. I don't go in the basement, and I avoid other places that may have spiders. When the warmer weather arrives, and I see my first spider, I get even more anxious. There have been many times in which I thought I saw a spider, but then there's nothing there, yet I've NEVER in my life seen things that weren't there before this situation. So the *sightings* are spider-related, as I don't see other things that don't exist. I occasionally feel like something may be crawling on me when it's really something else that is touching my skin. I try to avoid driving at night in the warm weather, for fear that there's a spider in the car. This spider situation has changed me and is interfering with my life. I want so badly to move the heck out of here, and the reason I'm still here is a long story.

Additionally, I've suffered the trauma of being in a car accident (everyone in the car taken to the hospital by ambulances), and that has affected me greatly in that I don't feel like being in a car, I've managed to avoid driving on the highway since then, I don't want to go out in bad weather. I wasn't hurt badly, but I was told that I may have been killed if the huge light pole didn't give way like it did. When my dad drove by the accident site, I got very emotional, anxious and almost sick to my stomach, and I got upset that he didn't respect my wishes to not have to go on that windy road before I felt ready. I am so afraid of being in a car accident again (knock on wood). It's hard for me to hear news stories about motor vehicle accidents or to see photos of them. I've accidentally seen a horrific photo of people in a car accident, and I mean horrific, and that image is seared into my mind. I do not enjoy being in a car where someone else is the driver. I've not had any flashbacks, but I think I had a nightmare (can't remember specifics after all this time). I am home most of the time (not a great way to go through life).

Do any of you think that I may have PTSD? And do you know if chronic exposure to a phobia can lead to PTSD? Isn't it a trauma to be in an almost constant state of fear while being exposed, many times, to the thing you're afraid of, when you have no control over the presence of the thing you fear?

Hope I didn't bore anyone with my story. Thanks so much for any info and any help.

Do you think the accident and the spider phobia might be related? As in, did your phobia of spiders get worse after the accident or did you already have the bad phobia before. I don't think any of us can really diagnose you with having PTSD or not, but it sure sounds like the phobia is making your life impossible.

I'm not a huge fan of spiders myself, although I dont really have a phobia of them, so I can slightly imagine how upsetting it must be to live in an environment where there's lots of them...Moving out of that house seems like a plan, but it sounds like you can't. Maybe you could speak to a professional about this, and about the accident too because it sounds like the accident has affected you as well.

From what I understand about stress disorders and stress-related symptoms (and that's not all that much) PTSD is at the severe end of a long line of stress reactions. Having stress responses with your body is healthy and normal, but the difference with PTSD is often that the body responds too often to certain items that are triggers, regardless of whether a real threat is present. Repeated stress responses can take a wearing toll on the body and the mind; many people say that they literally feel like they are "losing their mind" during times when they have many triggers. When appropriate action is taken, long-term wearing of the mind and body can be prevented, and the stress endured can often help make people stronger later in life. At least, I've found that to be true for me.

Regardless of how you label your relationship with the spiders in your home or with your car trauma, the feelings you have about each thing are real. What is also real is how you choose to deal with it and think about it. In fact, I would say how you label your relationship with spiders and cars is less important than what you choose to do about it.

Like Radise said, speaking to a professional might be the best thing to do in this situation. Phobias like the ones you describe are, in fact, very often the area of expertise of many licensed counselors and therapists. Fears like yours are more common than you might expect, and it might be comforting for you to know that you are not alone and are not the first (or last) person to experience fears like the ones you have been experiencing.

My personal advice (feel free to ignore :p ) would be to perhaps use affirmations to help you gain perspective in your situation. I find for me, personally, repeating phrases that help dissolve the fear I feel by shifting blame to a more appropriate place often helps calm me and even can make me unafraid of something I was previously afraid of. Examples for you might include feelings toward your father, if you still have any, in regards to his role in the accident. If you still blame him for part of what happened that day, it may be important for you to be able to forgive him. Also, examine whether or not you feel guilt yourself for the accident; if you do, it is EXTREMELY important that you are able to find a way let go of that guilt. The main source of stress for many people with stress-related issues is guilt from not taking action in a certain situation. Remember that you are forgiven and be grateful for those of you that came out uninjured from the accident.

Hopefully that addresses some of your questions. It seems your main question is whether your stress patterns are developing into something more severe. My main response to that would be: don't underestimate the power of this situation to change through your thoughts and actions. Though it may seem unfathomable right now, how you react to these situations in the future can result in less stress, the same amount of stress, or more stress. You've managed to survive (it seems) with the amount of stress you have now, so if you continue the way you are now, I don't really see any long-term negative effects for you. However, if you wish to reduce your stress, there are steps you can take to attempt that process. Happy healing!

I think its probably unlikely you have PTSD from what you describe here. Just because of the symptoms that you describe. Intrusive symptoms have to be very regular and happen certain times a week etc for it to be full blown PTSD.

But really maybe that is not that important. It sounds like you have been badly affected by this accident (possible PTS) and that you have an active phobia. I really hope you get some support and treatment for both. There is no reason to suffer alone or not get help. I can certainly see how being around something one is phobic about would be horrific.

Regardless only a proper professional can diagnose you and there may be other relevant information not here. I wish you healing.

I had a phobia of cockroaches. But I had PTSD before it. When I was 29 the apt. I was living in which had been fantastic was overrun with cockroaches due to renovations above me. I moved and gradually my startle reflex went back to its former rate.

I wonder if you were in a state of fight or flight for a while before you got the phobia and only became conscious of PTSD symptoms coincident with the spider fear.

But as has been said, check it out with a professional. I feel for your situation and am sorry you are going thru this.

Thank you all for the nice responses and the advice; it's all very much appreciated.

Let's see if I can answer any questions. I don't believe that the accident and spider phobia are related and, although the spider phobia was already present, it's gotten much worse over the past years because there have been more and more spiders here with the weird weather. I was the driver of the car that day. It took me about three years to get behind the wheel of a car again.

I've got a complex set of issues going on (also involving being the victim of a crime), and so I know it's best to find someone to help me. Problem is, I don't even feel like going out anywhere.

I hope that I didn't offend anyone by wondering about how spiders are affecting me, since PTSD is related to trauma, but I thought that I am going to lose it soon. Spiders are benign and not at all comparable to experiencing a real trauma. And I truly hope that all of you are getting better each day.

That all sounds really awful :sorry:. Perhaps you should see a therapist. They would be able to properly diagnose you and help you with your phobia and panic attacks. Also, you should seriously consider moving. I couldn't live like that.

Do any of you think that I may have PTSD? And do you know if chronic exposure to a phobia can lead to PTSD? Isn't it a trauma to be in an almost constant state of fear while being exposed, many times, to the thing you're afraid of, when you have no control over the presence of the thing you fear?

I'm not a professional so I really can't say. I do have PTSD and to me it sounds more like a phobia of spiders that causes anxiety for you.

As for the part I bolded I've read this from the American Psychological Association website.

"Trauma is an emotional response to a terrible event like an accident, rape or natural disaster. Immediately after the event, shock and denial are typical. Longer term reactions include unpredictable emotions, flashbacks, strained relationships and even physical symptoms like headaches or nausea. While these feelings are normal, some people have difficulty moving on with their lives. Psychologists can help these individuals find constructive ways of managing their emotions."

I'd post the link to the site here but I can't remember exactly what the forum rules are about linking websites.

Exposure to things that trigger is often something that is used in treating sufferers while in a session with a professional. I think your best bet is to see a professional.

Thankfully, I don't have panic attacks. I'm stuck living here until who knows when, unfortunately.

BlackbirdRising, I'm not sure about the forum rules for posting links, either. But if the link is just for me, you don't have to go through the trouble since I know the web address. And thanks for looking things up and for the info.

A tidbit of info: The DSM-5 (released May 2013) has some changes for the diagnostic criteria for PTSD. Also, from the VA Gov site re PTSD: "Criterion A2 (requiring fear, helplessness or horror happen right after the trauma) was removed in DSM-5."

I guess what I've been through here feels traumatic, and I've had a hard time coping. It's not just spiders and a car accident. I also suffered through a crime for about a two month period. I don't know why I didn't mention being the victim of a crime in my first post, except for that I tend to avoid thinking about what happened and don't like to talk about it or put anything in writing about it as I am doing now - I broke down in tears after starting this thread. I can't self-diagnose, of course.

You sound like you are in trouble and that you need treatment. I hope you take steps to get some as you deserve that.

I understand avoiding what is possibly the most upsetting occurrence. To start off I was focussing on something I now think was a trigger.

Remember too that if it turns out to not be PTSD it does not mean that what you are going through is not real, and truly horrible. Trauma is a description of a physiological reaction in the body.

It is the intrusive symptoms that set PTSD apart. Flashbacks, visual intrusions etc and a certain amount of them a week; as well as certain physiological symptoms. It is the re experiencing that sets it apart from depression and many other reactions that can result from being exposed to a traumatic experience (such as being assaulted, thinking one is going to die; serious accidents etc). In the past I have been almost catatonic as a reaction to a horrible situation even though I would not have had full blown PTSD at the time.

You have a lot to deal with and they are probably interacting with each other too. By getting a diagnoses they can fine tune the treatment to what will help you most.

I advise seeing a professional. The effects of trauma are often not linear. As in, we are traumatized but the effects aren't easily connected to the cause. I was raped as a child and thought it was nothing for over 25 years because I didn't have the "typical" behaviors and effects associated with sexual abuse, therefore professionals just thought I was a bad child. I wasn't promiscuous as a teenager which often points to abuse, etc.

My point is that the effects of your traumas may be manifesting themselves in other ways. Maybe your brain doesn't feel "safe" in reacting to the trauma directly, but it's "safer" to let out the emotions through a spider phobia.

Ok so I know this is not the clearest explanation. Point is, you can't always connect "A" directly to "B".

Thanks for explaining PTSD to me, Abstract. I don't have re-experiencing symptoms often, so maybe that means I don't have PTSD. I've never had a flashback, but I've had nightmares, though not every week.

I'm so sorry that you were raped as a child, ScaredOFLonely, and thanks for sharing that with me. I understand what you're saying with regards to traumas manifesting themselves in other ways. Psychology is a lot more complicated than people think.

My thanks to all here who have been supportive and helpful. Again, I appreciate that people responded to my questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back