• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Relationship Could it be ptsd or is he just being a bully?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Never_falter2

MyPTSD Pro
My sufferers brother was never diagnosed with ptsd but I think might have it. I wonder if there is the possibility ptsd might be to blame for his odd and offensive sense of humor. He loves to say offensive things about the cleanness of our house (yes, I had another thread about this, he is the one who stopped saying offensive things and that made me worry... well, he started again).

He likes to crack jokes about the disabled. He is disabled himself. He likes to say offensive things about the elderly, fat people, people from other religions and so on and so on.

So I asked him to stop it and he said he was just joking and saw nothing wrong with it.

Currently I am trying to like him because he is so nice with my sufferer.

Me idiot. I wanted to post this anonymous and forgot to hit the button. However, posting to much anonymous is not good anyway, is it and I guess most of you cal tell me because of my language anyway.

Hallo :) hoffe es geht dir gut:)
I know personally I use humor (although sometimes dark humor that only I crack a smile at) to cope. If I'm upset about something and I'm trying to cover it up, or trying to get through a symptomatic day, or maybe trying to convince myself that the day isn't that bad I usually go in the opposite direction and start using dry, dark humor to distract myself. Sometimes using humor (even if it isn't very funny) about a bad situation I'm in can help me feel a bit better although it sometimes appalls the people I'm with. You said he is disabled- maybe by cracking some jokes about it he is trying to use humor as a way to cope.

He likes to say offensive things about the elderly, fat people, people from other religions and so on and so on.
No. Not indicative of PTSD. It’s called being part of the human spectrum.

Humor, including dark and offensive humor, can be a coping mechanism for a wide varieties of inner struggles, and is not at all unique or diagnostic to PTSD. Be careful to not ascribe PTSD to explain every annoyance or offensive behavior.

Sometimes, it’s just the person. Have you told him this bothers you?

Hallo :) hoffe es geht dir gut:)
I know personally I use humor (although sometimes dark humor that only...
Although outright making fun of people is crossing a line; it really depends on what he is doing, if he is making jokes about his situation to diffuse it or if he is picking on someone else.

@Rosie11 Yeah, I thought that maybe he makes fun of things because they scare him. Maybe the elderly scare him cause they are close to death and he is scared of death and suffering.
His jokes can be extremely offensive sometimes... and he is also very blunt about how our house is dirty, he thinks hubby is whiny and so on... but on the other hand very nice with hubby (in a rough way).

@Rosie11 again. He is making fun of people but typically only people he knows well (such as us) or behind their backs. He is polite with people he does not know well.
I think what he does is rude and have no idea why he does it, but really trying to like him cause he is blood of hubbys blood and because he is nice with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back