1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Counselling Coming To An End Prematurely

Discussion in 'Treatment & Therapy' started by adrian_newbridge, Sep 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adrian_newbridge

adrian_newbridge Active Member

I heard a couple of weeks ago that my psychologist is moving to another area and it will bring my therapy to an end sooner than planned. I'm at the stage in recovery where I have dealt with all the issues and triggers of PTSD but can anyone tell me am I right to feel very scared about the councelling coming to an end. I feel anxious and a bit vulnerable as well as scared. The triggers are still out there, I just hope I can cope with them on my own

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. ptsd_cracker

ptsd_cracker Member

I believe your therapist should refer you to another therapist before he relocates just encase you encounter some bumps along the way.

I do understand your loss though, after spending a large amount of time with someone you do develop a bond. You should be proud that your therapist feels that you are able to move on without him.

4. Nicolette

Nicolette ♡ Supporter Admin ♡ Supporter Admin Sponsor $100+

Well said ptsd_cracker.

Adrian, to me having your therapist move would be like having a good friend move. You may experience a sense of loss and will probably feel alone and scared but I am sure your therapist would have recommended you seek out another therapist if he/she felt you needed ongoing support from such a means. I am sure you do well and if there are some bumps perhaps you can find another local therapist and have your initial one provide progress notes with your consent if required.

5. adrian_newbridge

adrian_newbridge Active Member

Thanks for those replies, I thought it was just me over reacting to loosing a really good councellor and yes it does feel like I'm going to loose a close friend, we've worked out a strategy of who to contact if I have any problems, so thanks for the positivety from your replies, it has taken some of the anxiety away. I suppose after 3 years it's time to stand on my own two feet.

6. Nicolette

Nicolette ♡ Supporter Admin ♡ Supporter Admin Sponsor $100+

You'll be just fine Adrian :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar