• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Count Me As Grateful For The Changes Coming In Us Health Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

squireparty

Learning
Just as I have stated, I am very grateful for the upcoming changes in US health care. I live in a state (Arizona) which has opted to expand Medicaid and since my income has been pretty low this year I don't think I am going to have difficulties in getting onto the expanded Medicaid plan.

I breathe a sigh of relief as I am in fairly good health overall other than the PTSD and will be glad for the mental health benefits portion of the plan.

I like the idea of having a counselor to talk to about things, issues, whatever, and having the visit be very inexpensive. Works for me!

How the changes will affect people is different depending on many factors. The changes will benefit middle and low income people overall, the most. That's a good thing, I think.

It doesn't apply to me (I'll be $11.00 over the earnings ceiling to get the tax benefit), but I still think its a good thing.

My insurance rates went up. I don't get insurance through my job so I got the cheapest health savings account plan I could find and it's almost completely useless and just for emergencies. Paying almost $200 per hour for therapy is terrible. I did it for a few months and I just can't afford it anymore. Towards the end thinking of how much it was costing me was making me more stressed. So now I'm down to paying a psychiatrist to get generics prescribed.

I'm very skeptical about it. I don't have much confidence in a plan that the people who are voting it in are not required to participate in. If it's not good enough for them, what makes it good enough for the rest of us? October is just around the corner. We'll see!

Yes, good point PH. That and all the waivers. The list is quite extensive. Apparently not all are equal under this law/mandate.

Just read a good article about local health care providers who will be participating on the Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP). So far there are only four providers that have divided up the state. Each will negotiate and contract with particular hospitals, doctors, etc. So far it looks like depending upon the plan selected, choice may be more limited than we have seen in the past. This only becomes an issue when you want to go to a medical center that is better for one condition than another.

Just waiting and seeing.

I really feel for you in the US. $200 for therapy, my jaw has just hit the floor. I don't know about how healthcare workes over there but it doesn't seem right for you to have to pay for therapy when you have ended up with PTSD through no fault of your own. Is there a charity for PTSD in the US?

I'm helping our state get ready to roll out and educate people about the affordable care act. I am thrilled about how many more people, especially single parents and their kids, will finally have coverage and be able to get healthcare.

The local ER, my old employer, is going to have much fewer patients coming in for regular ailments which should be attended to at much less expensive office rates. Our hospital won't be the place where the poor, the disabled, the working poor get dumped from private practices. Already those really anti-Obama docs are liking their better reimbursement. It's been wonderful to see them changing their tune as they get the numbers in for guaranteed payments.

We already have several plans to choose from in our area we didn't have before, so our insurance carrier is now actually providing more than before, hoping the thousands of us here sick of their monopoly won't dump them.

Our nursing program is the only program in our entire university exploding with applications and requests from regional healthcare systems to hire our students upon graduation. The scholarship money is helping many basic level nurses receive more training, then returning to their employers with new and sharper skills.

It won't be perfect. It will have bumps along the way. Those who like their plans get to keep them, but even those people will get better coverage.

But, maybe Obamacare isn't better than what we have now, or what the GOP is proposing. Time will tell, but I'm very optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back