• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Research Cptsd Empirically Based Treatment Guidelines

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are there studies on what's effective for treating CPTSD when there's no diagnosis of CPTSD?

I'm wondering if it might be possible to conduct research on the clinical descriptions of complex trauma, even when it's not an official diagnosis? I'm not sure. At the trauma center over here, they're very influenced by the researchers in the Netherlands (van der Hart, Nijenhuis, Boon, Steele, van der Kolk etc.), and are currently conducting research on complex trauma. They do actually call it complex PTSD, but specify that it's not an official diagnosis (in ICD-10 either).

I've actually wondered whether or not the research would be valid and reliable if there's no consensus as to what measurement an assessment of "complex PTSD" should contain. From what I've figured out, these are the assessments that are most used, in Norway anyway

Clinician- Administered PTSD Scale (CAPS),
Impact of Event scaleRevised (IES-R),
Detailed Assessment of Posttraumatic States (DAPS)
Posttraumatic Stress Diagnostic Scale (PDS).
Trauma Symptom Inventory (TSI)
Structured Interview for Disorders of Extreme Stress (SIDES)
Dissociative Experiences Scale (DES).
Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-IV Dissociation Disorder (SCID-D).

From what I could understand, is "CPTSD" pretty much the same as the "developmental trauma" diagnoses one tried to include in the DSM-V as well? If someone knows the difference, please enlighten me. Personally I think it would be positive to include a developmental trauma diagnosis, but understand that the attempt to like sneak it into an already existing diagnosis (PTSD) might not be the best idea.

is "CPTSD" pretty much the same as the "developmental trauma"
Pretty much, yes... along with DESNOS was another attempt to get cptsd entered as some form of diagnosis.

cPTSD will be in the ICD 11 next year, so it will be officially recognised soon enough. I also concur, experts use cPTSD as a term for complex trauma. It confuses people, but maybe that is also their point, towards recognition!!!

cPTSD will be in the ICD 11

Wow, I didn't know that, thanks for the info! And good article. Interesting to see how the ICD-11 and DSM-5 will differ.

As for the treatment guidelines link, I'm actually taking part in a clinical study that's researching the suggested phase-oriented treatment, so it's obviously both offered as treatment over here, and conducted studies.

Anyone in the EU or surrounding countries, where mental health primarily utilise the ICD, could certainly be diagnosed with cPTSD by participating therapists who are trialling the diagnostic structure for inclusion and feedback to WHO. It would be limited therapists participating in such trials... but those recently diagnosed in such locations could possibly be diagnosed by their proposed criterion structure. Whilst still not official, because the diagnosis is not registered at this point in an approved manual, it would certainly become such once the ICD 11 was released.

All of this could become problematic for Americans specifically, as the US may be limited to DSM official diagnoses only, and not recognise ICD classifications as the manual is US based. Everyone outside the US... countries tend to recognise and use both manuals, or just the ICD.

How are there studies on what's effective for treating CPTSD when there's no diagnosis of CPTSD?

Or has...
I have been diagnosed with it. 3 years ago but treatment for it is sketchy at best it took over a year to be diagnosed and my family were interviewed also to colaberate my events.

Pever since i have to provide proof as much as i can for trumatic events. Its horrible by the time they are your telling the truth. Im off and pissed off by then

I was diagnosed with CPTSD in December 2015. That's exactly what the diagnosis is written as on the psychiatrist's letter to my GP after formal assessment. In fact he wrote a little bit about it in the letter:

"I feel that the most useful diagnosis is Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. We are recognising this increasingly in people such as draiocht who have had very difficult and traumatic experiences, during their developmental years, which have been progressive and which occur repeatedly when they are in a vulnerable position and are then unable to process their emotions at that time."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back