• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Critical Incident Support Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys and gals,

I am hoping to set up some kind of critical incident support tailored to my profession. Those of you that are police, EMT, and military, what do they do with you in these situations? What worked well for you? What didn't? Knowing what you know now, what would you like to see in a critical incident support program?

I know this is a rather broad series of questions. I have to start somewhere. :smile:

We didn't have a set thing that we would talk about. I know for us (Fire/EMS) we would talk about the incident. What went good, what went bad and could have gone differently and then we just went around the room and let everyone say how they felt and what things were bothering us. Make sure you are sitting in a circle. As I remember the Red Cross came to ours, I can try to find out more info for you if you like. Also we never forced anyone to talk, if they didn't want to they didn't have to..

What do they do for on going support? As we can all attest to here, these issues aren't over after sitting in a circle with everyone. I'll do some checking around with the local Red Cross. I had never considered them as a resource for this. Thanks.

For us we have internal staff that are trained in CISM, these staff members will make contact with th crews after emotional, physical and Traumatic calls at t his time the staff members have the chance to talk with peers who just listen, they are also called if partners notice a change or that their partner appears in distress, there is a more formal defusing after the call this for us is similar to what SeaFoam described, however it is conducted either by the local police Victims services or a mutual Aid Service after this is finished, if more assistance is needed they call in mental health experts. Hope this helps.

One thing that is offered for us is an Employee Assistance Program. If I remember correctly, you and your family are allowed a few visits per year free. Anything beyond that is covered by the individual. Honestly, I am a little Leary of the doc in the box concept with mental health experts.

One thing I have seen a major railroad do is a peer support program. I need to call a buddy of mine that works for this railroad and see if he can also get me some of the details of how it works for them.

Chatting with everyone is getting some creative things stirred up in my mind for this. Thanks!

CISD sessions are generally only once, within 72 hours of the incident.. Any ongoing has to be set up separate.. It's the most effective in that time period - I have always had good luck with it, but that could go back to my training. Everyone is different, my ptsd is from my accident that I was in.. Take advantage of the EAP - that's what it's there for!! They have a lot of different people you can see so it's not really doc in a box, that's how I got my appointment set.

I know ambos have a system where they debrief as a group after a distressing incident. Peer support program is compulsory in certain incidents (not sure what the criteria is). I spoke to an ambo about it once & they said often this is enough. However if goes beyond peer support they have a psychologist referral service.

I only know this third-hand but maybe you could check on the internet or contact the ambulance service in your area.

Use the EAP thats what they are for if nothing else it is a good start. As far as the mandatory sessions that is very few and far between for us but managment or individuales can ask for a propper derbriefing, Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back