1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Crying. Has Anyone Tried To Not Force It?

Discussion in 'General' started by permban0077, Oct 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

I just see so many posts and mine in the past too of people needing or wanting to cry. Has anyone just said to hell with it? Maybe you are pressuring yourself too hard to find that relief much like when we try to force sleep? Just work on trauma and see when you do and do make progress tears will flow and sleep will come? Working on actual trauma and processing it as we did not before will help this and many other aspects of PTSD?

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Awakening

Awakening Well-Known Member

I've had big urges to cry. That built up feeling, and an aching throat & being unable, tried to push it. Nothing.

It doesn't always work but a T gave me the technique of thinking of something small, unrelated to the trauma to cry about. It may have been someone who was a bit short with me. Or a rude person on the telephone. If I still can't make it about me, I think of something perhaps I've seen on the news. This can sometimes open the floodgates.

Other then that, sitting quietly & trying to find the nurturer within (am I sounding corny yet?!). But finding that quiet caring voice might not bring on tears but can soothe a little or reassure that everything is in fact okay.

4. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

I used to use movies or books to get out my tears but I find now they come on their own. If I'm upset I tend to just cry about it. I really cry if I'm trying to talk about it. I think learning how to cry is just part of our healing process.

bec

5. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

Maybe I have not learned the whole cry thing yet. I am just observing. From my experience and seeing others you just say to hell with it and decide it is not even worth crying over and then boom tears. You just don't give a shit anymore to get there. And then you cannot stop dammit. Can't tell I have had a few crying spells recent can ya LOL...

6. nor

nor Well-Known Member

My psychiatrist believes that if I could let go, and cry, in his office, I would start to heal.

I have tried to follow directions.....And I may tear up, but no flood gates open and I am quickly able to regain all composure.

I wish I didn't feel pressured to cry-maybe then I would!

nor

7. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

Im well confused by the whole tears thing really. I think I lost my tear ducts somewhere.

Having said that I did cry a couple of months ago... and it was a weird sort of relief. And it was a bit like awakening said... I started crying over a sad song, and I started crying for other people... then ended up crying about me. But even though I did that night, I haven't been able to since. Still can't cry when I need to, or sometimes even recognise when I need to. Occasionally get a tiny leak sneak out though.

I think trying not to force it, like the same with sleep, is a good idea. I'll try that. Though I have to say, crying to me is such a controversial issue, it is something to even admit I need to sometimes!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Show Sidebar