• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Relationship Curious Of Sufferer Point Of View

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fickleme

New Here
I think it's fair to say that from the supporter point of view we have all found a lot of comfort from reading these forums. We are able to relate to each persons stories in a sense and it is nice to know that we aren't alone. So I'm curious, for those sufferers that read these forums- is there any sense of comfort in reading about other sufferers having very similar experiences to your own? For example, if you reaction to a stressful relationship is to isolate and push those close to you away, do you find comfort knowing that other sufferers have the same fears as you do and respond the same ways?

My sufferer does not deny have PTSD. He has been diagnosed and is getting treatment both with a counselor and with medication. Although he is still very sensitive to how he is viewed, he often feels people will think he is crazy. If I mention anything about his current status he gets very defensive. He mentioned not feeling well last week due to an eye infection and needing to make a visit to he doctor

Last edited by a moderator:
*** oops pressed the wrong button and posted that too soon.

Anyway, he mentioned need to make a doctors appointment for not feeling well and later on in the conversation I said " well I hope you feel better soon." And he got very defensive and was like " what do you mean ?!" And I responded " because of your eye infection" he responded " oh I thought you thought I was crazy or something " this was because I think he realized he was seemingly a bit unstable in the conversation.

Just curious if other people have had had some of these thoughts too? Is there any comfort in knowing others are experiencing the same feelings due to PTSD?

Last edited by a moderator:
OK - this may sound a little snarky - but I think that's the whole point of having a community like this. So (at least for me), the short answer is "yes". But, I think this site offers more than "comfort". For me, this site provides an opportunity to offer and receive experience, strength and hope (to steal a phrase from the 12-steppers).

OK - this may sound a little snarky - but I think that's the whole point of having a community like t...

Not snarky at all. I suppose I also was directing the question at supporters who have those in their life that they support that aren't on this site.

Not snarky at all. I suppose I also was directing the question at supporters who have those in their life that they support that aren't on this site.

Sorry - I guess I misread your original post. I thought you were asking "suffers". Unfortunately, I can't double check because...you deleted your post! :).

I felt my post was probably about to step on a lot of people's toes without that being my intention at all. I wasn't wanting to upset strangers on the internet today. For future posts I'll try and be more clear. Difficult when thoughts are so jumbled.

Since I'm currently trying to work on my cognitive distortions (in my "real life"), I won't try to mind read here...however, the general sense I got from your original post(s) was that your significant other is pretty defensive about his PTSD - and he is especially concerned that others might judge him as being "crazy". If I remember correctly, you felt that, as a supporter, you got a lot of comfort from this site and you wondered if suffers got comfort from the site. Reading between the lines (not "mind reading", mind you ;)) - I'm guessing that you were wondering if he might find this site useful. ...and then the next logical question (based on his defensiveness) would be how to get him on here without having him imply that he needs it...

Close?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back