• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Decided To Take Medication; Wish Me Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saule

Learning
So I saw my psychiatrist today and we decided that an antidepressant may help me atm. We discussed a number of different options: paroxetine (Paxil), venlafaxine (Effexor), sertraline (Zoloft), mirtazepine (Remeron), escitalopram (Lexapro)... I've taken Lexapro in the past and found it mildly helpful, with the only noticeable side effect being lowered libido so common amoung SSRIs. I wanted to try something different this time, so I'm going to try Zoloft 50mg and see how that goes -- maybe up it to 100mg or keep at 50mg.

I've been really apprehensive about taking meds again, especially every day. I've tried St John's Wort but that didn't really do anything (maybe eased the depression a bit). However, it was pointed out me that the haphazard self-medicating I've been doing (e.g. alcohol, more than the recommended amount of Valium) is just as bad if not worse than taking an antidepressant. A good point. I also think I'll get more out of therapy if I'm able to discuss the issues at the root of my PTSD without falling into a black pit of anxiety and despair.

So, here goes; I'm going to start taking it tomorrow. Wish me minimal/no side effects and high efficacy!

Good luck! Try cymbalta if Zoloft doesn't work. I've tried so many different anti-depressants, and the side effects have been unbearable until I tried cymbalta. It works really fast too :)

I am seeing someone to do this very thing today as well. I was over-medicated as an adolescent/teen so it's sort of scary for me to go back to it too. I've tried a bunch of different things as well, including supplements, and I think the meds might be the right answer for me at this point in my life.

I hope you have luck with the Zoloft. I'm thinking about asking the new doc for that as well. Give us an update on how it's going!

Wish you luck on taking medication. I was really resistant to taking medication for a long time and then I got to a point when I was having trouble functioning and I got desperate so I tried it. The right medication has really allowed me to get more out of therapy and function better. I'm still on a small dose of lexapro now but hope to wean down at some point.

Wish you luck on your medication.

Thanks everyone, took first tablet this morning. Seeing as I had minimal side effects from Lexapro my pdoc and I are hoping I respond similarly to Zoloft. We'll see.

GrahamCracker, good luck... I understand it can be scary to start taking meds again. I OD'd about 10 years ago and I've been kind of phobic about taking anything ever since, even the odd panadol. I'm going to try taking supplements at the same time as the Zoloft. Zinc, magnesium, calcium, iron, boron, vit C, B complex, fish oil...

Good Luck you are doing the right thing. I was on medication for about 3 years. I took a 4/5 month break. And I was not able to keep my anger and outbursts together. Even with therapy. I started medication again. I told myself I never would NEVER take them again but it when im on them it doesn't feel like the I'm carrying the whole world on my shoulders. I feel a little lighter. @Saule, if you need to talk send me a message. I'm stationed in okinawa japan so our time is different but I'll write back when I can. It's a long road ahead but as everyone says the first step is the hardest. I'm glad you made that decision and acted upon it.

I also have to take medication. I decompensate quickly without it. I have tried many different things and Paxil seems to work best for me. I also take beta blockers for nightmares and flashbacks. They work really well for me. I don't seem to have any side effects from the Paxil so I feel lucky I found a good combo.

So I've been taking Zoloft for 10 days now. No side effects other than loss of appetite the last two days. Can't say I've noticed any real change yet, but I do feel generally more clearheaded and alert.

So, here goes; I'm going to start taking it tomorrow. Wish me minimal/no side effects and high efficacy!
OMG please avoid all SSRI and request the trycyclic. I have been down to road with the SSRI and they are useless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with SSRIs, Retpopo, but I'm glad to hear that tricyclics have worked better for you. I think every person responds differently to different medications -- we all have such unique physiology. I've been lucky in that my experiences with SSRIs in the past and currently have been relatively positive. Not earth-shatteringly fantastic, but definitely not useless. I'm two weeks into taking Zoloft now, and while things aren't great, I do feel a more general sense of calm that I didn't have previously. And virtually no side effects.

Wishing you well.

Good luck with your new medication Saule.

I completely agree with you about how everybody is different with their reaction (good or bad) to medications. Often it is very much trial and error to see what works for you, without too many side effects. I hope things work out for you.

@Retpopo , it's rather misleading to base your experience on medications as a hard fact.

SSRI [and they] are useless.
Sorry to hear that they didn't work for you, but that doesn't mean they won't work for someone else. Drug companies wouldn't continue to produce them or be successful in selling them, if there was zero evidence for their effectiveness.

Tricyclics are prescribed less and less these days, as newer drugs with less side effects are being developed. The huge issue with tricyclics is how dangerous / fatal they can be in overdose. Therefore, not a good drug to prescribe anyone who is depressed if they may have suicidal or self harm tendencies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back