1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Depakote?

Discussion in 'Medications & Substances' started by tk321, Apr 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tk321

tk321 New Member

Anyone hear of or have experiences with using Depakote ER for PTSD? My girlfriend has been diagnosed with this (acute and chronic) and the doc recently added the new med to her cymbalta and lexapro regimen.

Thanks!

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. goingonhope

goingonhope Member Premium Member

tk,
    I was prescribed Depakote in the early to mid part of my twenties. I took it for a period of wks. or mo.'s I don't remember for how long. It's a mood stabilizer. It may have been in conjuction with my diagnosis of epilepsy or another diag. Don't want to bother now remembering what and when, but I did get prescribed the stuff. Personally for me, and this is just for me, I don't remember it doing anything to touch, or help my PTSD, for a matter of fact it had such a mild to non-existent effect on me that I didn't continue taking it. I had waited the required wks. or mo.'s in time for it to take some effect and have some helpful impact and when it didn't, I stopped as I'd thought of it as nothing more than a burden or pain in my butt.

So anyhow that doctor told me then that Depokote is a mood stabalizer.

4. zoe

zoe Well-Known Member

How much a drug helps varies so much depending on the individual. I have never taken depakote but do take trileptal. I began taking it for neuropathy but found that it did help with my anxiety levels. I do have several clients that take depakote for other disorders - it was helpful - but also caused extreme weight gain 40+ lbs. I have had some weight gain but believe it has had more to do with lack of mobility from a broken bone - but who knows for sure. Don't know if that helps any!

5. tk321

tk321 New Member

Thanks ... your comments were especially helpful!