• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Diamonds In The Rough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diamonds in the Rough

I like this quote by Thoreau because I feel validated as a unique individual when I read it:

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away. ~Thoreau

We are all wonderful, unique, creative people here. I revel in each of our unique strengths!
Nightowl, We miss you and we need you, come back here again soon I hope. You said the key word "We". I continue to need to be reminded that,

"We are all wonderful, unique, creative people here," Nightowl

and Thank You! for sharing with us and being you!

I do apologize as I overlooked responding to your last post and I never would have let this one go by. I too like this quote, quite a bit, and yet I like your comments as much if not more.

As of yet, I'm still handicapped, as I'm apt to value others, (give credit where credit is due), and see the uniquenss and creativity of others, while excluding myself. (envision them as a group, made up of wonderful, unique and creative people, and then there is me.) (And, I'll see myself as worth less and alone, not so wonderful, unique or creative. This distortion, of mine, and self-delusion has been very much criminal, as it much like a theif and has stolen much from many.)

Nightowl, tell us why you chose Nightowl as a username, rather then me assuming. I do hope you're getting much needed sleep. Wishing you well, til next we hear from you, and from all of us.

Quotes for this day:

Walls Instead of Bridges
(One-Liners)
Author Unknown

People are lonely because they build walls instead of bridges.

:smile:

Self-Estimation
(One-Liners)
Hendry David Thoreau

Public opinion is a weak tyrant compared with our own private opinion. What a man thinks of himself, that it is which determines, or rather indicates, his fate.

:smile:

It Can Be Fun
(One-Liners)
Mike Stratton

It can be fun to...bust your ass.

...damn it! I wanted to say hi to everyone and missed doing so because, ......Well, I damn right forgot to in my last post. So Hi, and hope everyone's bustin' their ass. Remember it can be fun! LOL :hello:

Diamonds in the Rough

Concrete Jungle
(Community)
Bob Marley and the Wailers

No sun will shine in my day today.
The high yellow moon won't come out to play.
I said darkness has covered my light
Has changed my day into night.
Where is the love to be found?

Someone tell me 'cause
Light must be somewhere to be found
Instead of a concrete jungle
Where the living is heartless
Concrete jungle
And man, you've got to do your best.

No chains around my feet
But I'm not free.
I know I am bound here in captivity
I've never known happiness,
Never known what sweetness is.
Still I'll be always laughing like a clown.
Won't someone help me cause
I've got to pick myself from off the ground
In this concrete jungle,
Concrete jungle.
Why won't you let me be now?

Diamonds in the Rough

Experience through Error
(Journey)
Thomas Wolfe

For he had learned some of the things that every man must find out for himself, and he had found out about them as one has to find out - through error and through trial, through fantasy and illusion, through falsehood and his own damn foolishness, through being mistaken and wrong and an idiot and egotistical and aspiring and hopeful and believing and confused. As he lay there in the hospital he had gone back over his life, and, bit by bit, had extracted from it some of the hard lessons of experience. Each thing he learned was so simple and obvious, once he grasped it, that he wondered why he had not always known it. Altogether, they wove into a kind of leading thread, trailing backward through his past and out into the future. And he thought now, perhaps, he could begin to shape his life to mastery, for he felt a sense of new direction deep within him, but whither it would take him he could not say.

Diamonds in the Rough

Desert Pete
(Commitment)
Tim Hansel

A man was walking across the desert, stumbling, almost dying of thirst, when he saw a well. As he approached the well, he found a note in a can close by. The note read: "Dear friend, there is enough water in this well, enough for all, but sometimes the leather washer gets dried up and you have to prime the pump. Now if you look underneath the rock just west of the well, you will find a bottle full of water, corked. Please don't drink the water. What you've got to do is take the bottle of water and pour the first half very slowly into the well to loosen up the leather washer. Then pour the rest in very fast and pump like crazy! You will get water. The well has never run dry. Have faith. And when you're done, don't forget to put the note back, fill up the bottle and put it back under the rock. Good luck. Have a fun trip. Sincerely, your friend, Desert Pete."

What would you do? You're on the verge of expiring from lack of water, and in reality, the bottle of water is only enough to quench your thirst, not save your life. Would you have the courage to risk it all?

This story is a powerful allegory about some of the essential ingredients in the Christian faith. First, there is evidence - there is a written message, the can with the letter in it, the bottle underneath the rock. Everything is in order, but there is no proof that you can really trust Desert Pete. The second element is risk. Here is a man dying of thirst asked to pour the only water he is sure of down the well. Faith is always costly. The third element is work. Some people have mistakenly interpreted faith as a substitute for work...Faith is not laziness. Desert Pete reminds us that after we trust and risk we must pump like crazy!

When I let go of what I am,
I become what I might be

-Lao Tzu

Not all who wander are lost.

-J.R.R. Tolkien

Diamonds in the Rough

Start By Doing
(Commitment)
Saint Francis

Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

Diamonds in the Rough

One-Liners:

Everything in the Universe
John Muir

When we try to pick out anything by itself we find it hitches to everything in the universe.

Minority
Herbert Prochnow

The minority is always wrong, at the beginning.

The Body
Author Unknown

Every man is a builder of a temple called his body. Keep your body high on the list of environments to protect from pollution.

Learn to be Better
Wendell Berry

It is not from ourselves that we will learn to be better than we are.

Diamonds in the Rough

...You're welcome, Anthony.

Room for Growth
(Leadership)
Author Unknown

A leader creates space that:
• empowers others.
• inspires others.
• makes conscious that which is unconscious in others.

Look For a Reaction
(Leadership)
Jamique Straker

Students are young and they will live their lives. They can't live off of someone else's experiences. So as you try to prepare them don't look for an answer; try looking for a reaction.

Diamonds in the Rough

It's Not the Critic Who Counts
(Leadership)
Theodore Roosevelt

It's not the critic who counts. Not the man who points out where the strong man stumbled or where the doer of great deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena. Whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood. Who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again. And who, while daring greatly, spends himself in a worthy cause so that his place may never be among those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Diamonds in the Rough

A Handful of Men
(Leadership)
Henry Miller

It nevertheless remains an illuminating fact that it is only the presence of a handful of men, in every age, that keeps society from degenerating utterly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back