• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Diamonds In The Rough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diamonds in the Rough

Humor:

My Heart Wants Roots
E.Y. Harburg

My heart wants roots.
My mind wants wings.
I cannot bear
Their bickerings.

Life is Like a Fan
(Author Unknown)

Life is like a fan: if you are up front, it's a breeze. If you're in back, it sucks.

Return to the Womb
Woody Allen

I have an intense desire to return to the wormb.
Anybody's.

Diamonds in the Rough

Success
(Leadership)
Ralph Waldo Emerson

To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.

Diamonds in the Rough

Mountaineering
James Ramsey Ullman

There has been no time in human history when mountains and mountaineering have had so much to offer to men. We need to rediscover the vast, harmonious pattern of the natural world of which we are a part - the infinite complexity and variety of its components, the miraculous simplicity of the whole.

We need to learn again those essential qualities in our own selves which make us what we are: the energy of our bodies, the alertness of our minds; curiosity and the desire to satisfy it, weakness and will to master it.

The mountain way may well be a way of escape - from turmoil and doubt, from war and the threat of war, from the perplexities and sorrows of the artificial world we have built ourselves to live in. But in the truest and most profound sense, it is an escape not from but to reality.

Diamonds in the Rough

One Can't Take a Breath
Woodrow Wilson Sayre

One can't take a breath large enough to last a lifetime; one can't eat a meal big enough so that one never needs to eat again. Similarly, I don't think any climb can make you content never to climb again...Certainly, there are such values as warm friendship tested and strengthened through shared danger, the excitement of obstacles overcome by one's own efforts, or the beauty of the high, quiet places of the world. But these values can't be stored like canned goods. They need to be experienced, lived - many times.

Diamonds in the Rough

Strats' Tower of Strength
(Values)
Mike Stratton

COURAGE gives me the strength to put worthwile ideas into action.

COMPETENCE is the ability to perform honestly the job for which I am suited.

CULTURE displays the belief that an appreciation of life's goodness is a source of joy forever.

COURTESY is the outward expression of inner respect for the individual.

CHARACTER is that spiritual force within me that demands and gets my best choices and my best efforts.

Diamonds in the Rough

Solitude is a Silent Storm
(Journey)
Kahlil Gibran

Solitude is a silent storm that breaks down all our dead branches. Yet it sends our living roots deeper into the living heart of the living earth. Man struggles to find life outside himself, unaware that the life he is seeking is within him.

Diamonds in the Rough

There are two fears, really. The original wound from way back when, and the fear of giving up our defenses and having to face the pain. So our fear becomes a roadblock, that we service and maintain.

-Merle Shain

Diamonds in the Rough

Point of View
(Outlook)
Author Unknown

The pessimist looks at opportunities and sees difficulties. The optimist looks at difficulties and sees opportunities.

Rose Bushes
(Outlook)
Abraham Lincoln

We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.

Beer Cans Are Beautiful
(Outlook)
Edward Abbey

Beer cans are beautiful - it's the highway that's ugly.

Diamonds in the Rough

Mother to Son

(Journey) - Selected Poems
Langston Hughes

Well, son, I'll tell you:
Life for me ain't been no crystal stair.
It's had tacks in it, And splinters, And boards torn up, And places with no carpet on the floor -
Bare.
But all the time
I'se been a-climbin' on
And reachin' landin's,
And turnin' corners, And sometimes goin' in the dark
Where there ain't been no light.
So, boy, don't you turn back.
Don't you set down on the steps
'Cause you finds it's kinder hard.
Don't you fall now -
For I'se still goin', honey, I'se still climbin', And life for me ain't been no crystal stair.

Diamonds in the Rough

Before Breakfast
(Outlook)
Lewis Carroll

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Madness
(Outlook)
Seneca

There is no genius free from tincture of madness.

Do Good
(Outlook)
Eldress Harriet Bullard

Do good. This should be the aim of every human being, to make the world better for their having lived.

Diamonds in the Rough

If You Are Unhappy
(Humor)
Author Unknown

Once upon a time, there was a nonconforming sparrow who decided not to fly south for the winter. However, soon the weather turned so cold that he reluctantly started to fly south. In a short time ice began to form on his wings and he fell to earth in a barnyard, almost frozen. A cow passed by and crapped on the little sparrow. The sparrow thought it was the end. But, the manure warmed him and defrosted his wings. Warm and happy, able to breathe, he started to sing. Just then, a large cat came by and hearing the chirping, investigated the sounds. The cat cleared away the manure, found the chirping bird and promptly ate him.

The moral of the story:

1. Everyone who shits on you is not necessarily your enemy.
2. Everyone who gets you out of shit is not necessarily your friend.
3. And, if you're warm and happy in a pile of shit, keep your mouth shut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back