• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Diazepam "as Needed"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandstone

MyPTSD Pro
I've just been prescribed Setraline with Diazepam 3 times a day "as needed". Does anyone have any idea how I tell when and if it is needed?

I've previously had a "hyper" reaction to Mirtazipine, so I believe this is meant to reduce the likelihood of it happening again. I'm currently very anxious and panicky, so the Diazpam may well be aimed at that too.

I think the psychologist who prescribed explained, but that was at the end of a two hour session and I can't remember.

Thanks in anticipation

I take Citalapram daily and have a supply of diazapam to take as needed. I take them if I know I am going to face a big/unusual event. I took them a couple of times on holiday last year, I took them before a long drive (when I'm not the driver).

Basically if I know a situation is extra stressful or if normal grounding isn't working then I will take one. Sometimes I will take half a tablet and if needed then the other half a little later.

That is my take anyway.

Wishing you peace
KP

Personally, I would only take the diazapam, if you are feeling really stressed, panicky, and desperate to 'calm down'. If you don't think you need it, don't take it.

Diazapam, is a benzodiazepine (benzo). As such has calming and sedative effects. It can be a life saver if your anxiety and panic attacks are hard for you to control. And I hold no judgement over anyone who needs to use a benzo to get through PTSD struggles, BUT benzo's can be highly addictive, and create dependency, which can cause further problems. I would seriously recommend using your prescribed diazapam sparingly.

If you can get by with out it, then don't take it. If you need it, take it in half doses, as KP has described.

I'm not aiming to scare you, because I do believe diazapam has it's place in treating ptsd, and other anxiety disorders, but please be aware of the addictive possibilities. Try not to get into a 'habit' of taking it, because you will likely become addicted, which will cause you more problems in the long run.

Good luck

CB

I also have a diazepam script for three times a day as needed. I only take it when I absolutely have to...probably to a fault because there have been times when my doctor has lectured me for not taking it when he felt I should have. My need for it fluctuates...I've had what was filled as a one month supply last for an entire year; I've also had times when I went through that same amount in just a couple of months.

If you're feeling anxious, panicky and desperate and you've been unsuccessful at calming down using other methods or coping techniques...that would be the time to take some diazepam. The only time I've ever used it before feeling panicky has been when I know I'm going into a situation that always makes me panicky and I know I have to keep myself together then I MIGHT take half a dose ahead of time. That's pretty rare, though...usually I just wait it out and only take it if I have to.

Ya, be careful I have been taking Lorazapam (Benzo) for years and now my body is physically and mentally dependant of them. If I don't have them for 2 days in a row I start to get real sick. Be very careful, HIGHLY addictive.

Also, if you have a long session with your doctor you should make sure he/she writes down your med directions for you.

My need for it fluctuates...I've had what was filled as a one month supply last for an entire year; I've also had times when I went through that same amount in just a couple of months.

I've had a total of 20 tablets since March last year and out of that I have 8 left. I treat them as another tool to get me through a stressful time. Luckily, I am able to self manage using breathing and grounding to control a lot of my symptoms.

Thanks for responding so quickly. I feel cared for, which is odd and makes me teary.

I decided to take both tonight, and phone to check with my GP in the morning. Though that was before I'd read all your posts. The main driver was fear of repeating the reaction I had to Mirtazipine, where I was dancing round the room with tin can as maracas and repeating multi-syllabic words because they sounded so good.

I need to be taking something right now; I've scared myself in the last couple of weeks, so I think I need to give the Sertraline all the help available to start with. I still don't know when I'll get any therapy so I have to be reliant on drugs for safety and stability. I've used up all my will power or now.

Both drugs warn of drowsiness as a side effect, but after 5 hours I'm not experiencing any. I've lain in bed for two hours and since sleep is an alien from another planet I'm downstairs again.

I was surprised not to get a information leaflet with the Diazepam, but found it online, and like each of you it warns of the addictive nature. I can't remember either Psych or GP referring to this. As you say Niki, I need to get these things in writing. I planned to buy a notebook, but forgot. As soon as I've posted this I'll put some paper in my bag

As diazepam is addictive, I would avoid taking it only when you *anticipate* being stressed. As in, you THINK you may become anxious, but aren't feeling any anxiety yet. Stick to taking it when your anxiety is to a level where you can't treat it with other coping skills. That is, only take it when you're significantly stressed. These are powerful drugs, and if you only anticipate becoming stressed, or are only minorly stressed, then you do not need a benzo to treat it.

Sometimes stress or PTSD symptoms can supersede medications, it's not surprising to me anymore when it happens but it was a bit frightening at first. This also told me that relying solely on medications was not going to be my answer to dealing with sleep and anxiety issues.

It's good that you looked the information up, you should always receive drug information when you it's given to you. Your Pharmacist has it available so you might think about inquiring there as well.

Lorazepam, Diazepam and Alorazepam are all commonly prescribed in conjunction with a SSRI's I read somewhere. It is to help with the anxiety and panic while the SSRI takes effect, which could be a few weeks. Sometimes the SSRI can also cause your anxiety to go through the roof as it takes effect initially. After you are more stable it's kind of up to you how to gauge your stress levels and decide if you need to take the benzo. It is smart to see if you can calm yourself down without the use of one. Getting used to a certain level of stress seems stupid and it probably is but there isn't much else we can do other than become hopelessly addicted to them. Learning to cope over time helps us, but at first coping skills seem useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back