• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Dom Violence Did you stay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was 26 in my first serious relationship. I stayed for almost a year. We moved across country to a small rural community and our roommate helped me realize the seriousness of the violence. We split but six months later I moved back across country and stayed another four months before leaving for good.

There was some physical violence but mainly it was psychological torture. I worked and supported both of us. I was never allowed to sleep more than three hours at a time. I was restricted from eating. I was not 'allowed' to have contact with people from my past or do anything unless accompanied. My managers were called and I was fired from two jobs because of this. There were constant threats of suicide if I did anything outside of the stated boundaries.

He's bitten me and drawn blood, will grab me and push me into things (leaving light bruises on my arms from grabbing me, bruises on my back from the doorknob), shoved me down, thrown my phone when I'm attempting to call or text someone when he's being violent, block me from leaving when he's being violent, grabbing my neck, grabbing and pulling at things around my neck (necklace, purse strap), pulling my hair, telling me he will kill me, telling me he will kill my family, telling me he will kill my animals, forced me to get out of the car and walk if it happens while he's driving, grabbing and yanking the steering wheel if it happens while I'm driving @The Albatross

The bite was the only thing that's ever really drawn blood. No black eyes or anything. Only once did I think I was going to pass out from his hands around my neck, and I didn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has happened less and less frequently so I thought it was getting better. It just happened again and that was the first time in 9+ months.

In the multiple violent relationships I experienced through the years, it always got better for a little while, giving me hope that they must have finally decided they love me enough to not hurt me anymore, but when it happened the next time, and there was ALWAYS a next time, it got even more violent than the last. I hope you can find a way out of there soon. My thoughts and heart are with you.

After things got violent, did you stay?

I never feel right saying my relationship has "domestic violence" or "physical abuse".
Interesting, because you referenced the word violence right in your thread and as well posted in the Domestic Violence section of this forum.

Minimizing? Conflicted about it? Something, I think, is up with that.

I am going to suggest that you get into a woman's outreach program/counseling, ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back