1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Disabled Without Disability - PTSD is Not Enough

Discussion in 'News, Politics & Debates' started by anthony, Nov 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

A Columbia man suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) says he was denied disability, although his doctor says he should not work.

"I was halfway out of that window, but I don't know how it got busted," explains Myron McKnight, pointing to a boarded up window at his Columbia home. Last month, McKnight says he found himself hanging over the broken glass after suffering a flashback to three years ago.

On November 8, 2003, McKnight was the victim of an attempted robbery while delivering pizzas. "I had the pizza boxes in my hand, when I saw the guy come from behind the house," he recounts. "That's when I knew something was wrong."

McKnight says two gunmen shot him a total of seven times and then fled, leaving behind the $80 he was carrying. Now, in a mind plagued by PTSD, McKnight says he relives that attack and attempts to physically fight the gunmen during flashbacks.

"I start punching like I'm trying to punch the shooters," explains McKnight, who says he loses control during the violent episodes.

According to a psychiatrist at Columbia Area Mental Health Center, McKnight was prescribed several psychiatric drugs, including Zoloft and Wellbutrin XL. He concluded that McKnight was "totally unable to perform gainful employment."

However, when McKnight applied for disability through the Social Security Administration, government officials said his condition "does not prevent you from doing all types of work." His claim was ultimately denied.

If employed, McKnight feels he could cause harm to co-workers; but he is even more frightened that PTSD could eventually put him on the streets. "Something has to be done," he said.

McKnight's counselor said he is scheduled to meet with officials from a vocational rehabilitation program soon. However, McKnight says he was already told his condition would prevent him from being placed in a job there, as well as through the State unemployment office. "My back is up against the wall," he said. "Who’s going to pay my rent?"

According to McKnight's counselor, his situation is not isolated. She says many mentally ill patients, who are denied disability yet unable to maintain employment, end up homeless.

Source: WLTX

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. ChrisB

ChrisB Member

Anthony- I hope in the years since you posted this that PTSD disability is looked at better by SS. In my case, I fought the state to NOT make me take my disability pension. I lost. My Doc suggested that I apply for Social Security benifets, I fought this but lost. I was sure I would be denied and liked the idea of being rejected. I heard it would take 3 tries and I must get an attorney. I was given SS on the first try, I was crushed. Yes, I was in denial at the time, I was sure I was going to be fine in a short while. I wanted to work and be productive, which is why I wanted to be denied benifits. Now, I am so thankful for those who saw reality and guided me to get aid and help. Never give up hope.
    Chris