• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Discrimination From Medical Doctor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonelyone82

Learning
I have been having more than one physical problem lately. I went to the doctor and got tests preformed. My blood test came back off, and the imaging he sent me for came back as abnormal. He told me I need more imaging in a couple months. I started having other symptoms such as pain in my stomach, and a swollen throat with swallowing problems. I went back to him to discuss it as I thought it wasn't unreasonable to see him, and he basically laughed at me and told me to see my psychiatrist. I was so choked that I had to try not to cry. I asked him "Is this because you think I'm somatic?" He paused and looked nervous and dumbfounded. He told me there is no need for immediate medical attention. I knew that otherwise I would have gone to a hospital, I was just going to the GP for basic health care. He then looked at my tests and said.."Oh the imaging was bad you need more scans in a month, it could cause pain and complication." I asked him what I am supposed to do if I continue to be sick. He said "Well..then that is just not good then." I was shocked and grabbed my bag and walked out trying not to cry. He didn't explain anything to me and I sense he was looking at me as a somatic panic attack. It was really discriminatory. I have to go see my psychiatrist now and tell her what happened. I'm hoping to get referred to a new doctor that won't laugh at me when I'm genuinely sick, and not brush everything off as somatic.

Anyone else experience discrimination when trying to get help for physical problems with PTSD diagnosis.

I do. I have PTSD, and I also have CRPS in my right leg. The CRPS is purely physical. BUT, sometimes I experience increased pain because my PTSD is flaring. So my doctor often wants me to try to "will away the pain" instead of prescribing stronger pain killers. It's been a battle to get the medical help I need.

I've never thought of it as discrimination, but you have a good point.

I hate going to doctors, and never do until I absolutely have to.

In 2 years, I think I went for myself maybe 3 times.
Once was when my husband left and I knew i was close to melt down because I wasn't sleeping and was drinking too much.
I said I had a previous diagnosis of ptsd then.
He gave me some sleeping pills and made very clear that it was the only time he would be prescribing them.
Another time for a medical certificate for time off work with flu.
And the third time, I knew I was in serious trouble.
By now they had on file that I had ptsd though and I had to fight tooth and nail for appropriate care for my kidney damage (I was born with a duplex, undiagnosed for so long that the little sucker poisoned itself by the time I was 16 and had packed it in altogether)
I KNEW that the symptoms I was suffering were the beginning of the other one going the same way, but the doc kept insisting it was a simple urinary tract infection and sending me home with standard antibiotics.
4 times I had to return, and each time he looked at me like I was a hypochondriac.
I ended up having to demand an ultrasound, which FINALLY showed him my duplex and scarring on the little one.
Boy did I enjoy the look of 'oops' on his face when he looked at those results and gave me the right anti biotic haha.

When i went to get a referal for the psych recently I went to a new clinic. Bugger the 10 appointments it would take to get this idiot to take me seriously.

Thinking about it now, I think you are onto it.
I was discriminated against because he assumed my mental illness meant id be the kind to sook about imaginary illness.

Sounds like we both need a new doc? Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back