• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Disney Trauma!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint Nik

MyPTSD Pro
Disney did it again. Went and completely traumatized me, again! :laugh:
The plan was to start having a life with my kids, getting out more with them as a family. As I have been so withdrawn for the the past 2 and a half years!

Anyway, went to the cinema with my hubby and kids to see Disney, Inside Out. A film about emotions, the characters in it, were: fear, joy, sadness, disgust and anger! Also showed these emotion characters roaming about in the imagination realm and stuck in the deep subconscious mind of the characters in the film. Don't worry, there will be no spoiler alert for anyone wanting to go and see this film.
Anyway, the film resonated with me as it was about emotions and the deep subconscious and it struck so many bloody nerves. There was me in absolute bits, floods of tears and this blubbering wreck because I understood the complexity of emotions and what they do to us.

Parts of the film went very quiet and my youngest daughter says out loud, very clearly for all to hear in the cinema, " Mum, are you crying?!" hahahaha what an embarrassment in a funny way. . . felt like saying back to her, " Shout louder sweetheart, I don't think the back row heard you!"
Anyway, it was good fun! Needed :smug: But, and this is a big but. . .Disney needs to stop dealing with trauma's and go back to fairytale stuff that is unrealistic and keep me away from reality for a little while! :joyful:
A few other films that in the past have got me crying were:
  • Good Will Hunting (related with this so much due to physical and emotional abuse) " It's not your fault, Will!", " Don't do this to me Sean. Not you!" I think I wailed at this part lol
  • Another Disney traumatic experience. . .definitely a pattern here eh? Big Hero 6. . .related with this dealing with grief!
  • Armageddon. . . I can watch this many times now without crying, but first time? I was :cry: lol
  • Watership Down (old film) Bright eyes :singing: I was very young and it was the first film that got me sobbing watching rabbits die!!!
  • Dumbo (yep, another Disney film! Okay, don't watch Disney as you will need therapy after it lol) Especially when the mother was locked up and cradled Dumbo in her trunk (I think I cried because I wanted an attentive mother like that and didn't have one!)
  • It wasn't a film, it was a series on UK TV called the Afterlife. It was about a father that lost his little boy. He then meets with this spiritualist medium. He doesn't believe in her spirituality, shows his cynical attitude towards her so much and has no belief in the afterlife. Anyway, it was the very last episode that brought on the :cry: when the moment the lead actor, the father is dying. . .and his moment of believing the afterlife comes when his little boy returns to take his hand and take him home! I swear to God it pulled that hard at my heart strings, I was literally a wreck! :hilarious:
Think I've talked enough :poop: :roflmao: can't think of anymore films that got be blubbling you'll be glad to know lol.

What about you? Has any films got you so emotional and turned you into a blubbering wreck? Touched a raw nerve with yourself? Triggered off the tears and opened the flood gates?

Amen to that! only watch Disney in the privacy of your own home!! I only missed the afterlife series in your list, right on all counts, after I was suddenly reconnected with my emotions in a seminar designed for that. Not recommended for the PTSD'ed, but that would assume you know you have PTSD.... Disney kicked my ass AGAIN in that Cloney yarn "Future World" ! Freek'n happy endings!

We couldn't watch Disney in my house until my son hit puberty. It gave him terrifying nightmares. His toddler explanation was my hands down favorite :

"Mom. The bad people are so so evil and so so smart, and the good people are so stupid. They should never win. It's just luck."

Yep, kiddo. Totally see that. Nixing Disney! Really, made me see the entire series in a wildly different way. Torture, kidnapping, attempted murder, murder, murder of your parents, friends & loved knees dying by misadventure (sometimes after being kidnapped and tortured, rescued only to die in a new totally gruesome way)... All with famine, war, betrayal, & others... With the added benefit of magic & monsters that everyone else is helpless to deal with except the rather stupid hero & a whole f*ck load of luck.

He was fine with Pixar & "older" Disney (Pirates of the Caribbean), where good people do bad things, and bad people do good things... But the black and white, good against evil nature of Classic Disney? Nope. Huh-uh. Not gonna happen. Outright rebellion.

Grimm's fairytales? They're a lot more brutal, but also a lot more subtle. He was also fine with those. The "sanitized" Disney versions? Pfft. Never been able to look at them the same again!

I suffered Disney-related trauma, but it was one of the rides at Disneyland. My father found it horribly amusing to pretend that I was really driving the car on Mr Toad's Wild Ride. It's on a track and 'crashes' into everything. Dad was screaming "Watch out" and waving his arms around telling me to turn this way or that. I was 4 and didn't get the joke. I'm now in my mid-thirties and my parents still laugh about it every so often.

Dumbo got to me too! In the scene where Dumbo's mother is being separated from him, I cried. Why, because my mother was taken from me when I was a baby. I knew that was why I was crying too, as I watched. So maybe we have some kind of memory of those very early times in our lives. Baby's cry a lot. Crying is an emotion, and I daresay that that is a language that we learn first, EMOTION, before we learn about words. Just my humble opinion.

Have more of a Disney compulsion.. I see stuff from frozen and sing to my daughter "do you want to get a (insert frozen themed item here)?".

She tells me to just " let it go".

Curse you Disney and your crappy childhood stories with catchy music. :)

The Disney movies that get to me are anything where a dog dies. Fox and Hound, Old Yeller, and other such movies I can't watch. Bambi, Lady and the Tramp, and Dumbo make me cry but that's not hard to do. "Little Mermaid" gave me nightmares, so I never watch that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back