• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Dissociation Explained

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Abstract, I'm surprised you haven't gotten an answer to your question medically already. You should, b/c it sounds more like a form of narcolepsy to me, but I'm not a Doctor. I looked it up for you and found this:Cataplexy ( a kind of narcolepsy): This symptom consists of a sudden loss of muscle tone that leads to feelings of weakness and a loss of voluntary muscle control. It can cause symptoms ranging from slurred speech to total body collapse depending on the muscles involved and is often triggered by intense emotion, for example surprise, laughter, or anger. (citation:http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/narcolepsy)
I do know that narcolepsy is likely part genetic and part triggered by stress triggors, or emotions (see above). The problem with having PTSD going on is that, I think, for most of us, we have learned to dissociate to the extent that emotions are no longer very clearly experienced the way they would be if we didn't get into PTSD in the first place. For example, it says above that we learn to use our intellect rather than emotions to navigate consciously through life. This is a way of trying to protect damaged emotional aspects of ourselves. So Anthony put a list of vocabulary terms of several emotions to that we can use it to try to find labels for different "sensations" or states we find ourselves in but can't affix a quick name to them. I would guess, and since I'm not a Dr. it literally is an educated GUESS, that the lack of emotional connection is making it nearly impossible for you to know that you are feeling the emotion(s) that are triggering your Cataplexy, which means you could have Cataplexy complicated by PTSD or comorbid?
Do you mind my asking why you haven't gone to see a Doctor about it? There are medications that can keep it from happening, I think. You might feel better. At any rate, I am not here to label or scare anyone. This is just an attempt to help you see that going on trying to guess what is happening to your body is actually not the best way to live life when there are helpful people who know what it is and can provide proper relief and care. But YOU are in control of that care, and only YOU can go and get it. Hope this helps and that you find out what is best for your best life!

Muse

BTW, this is the best summation of D and DID that I have seen so far.
I wonder if this complicates my Kiersey personality assessment of Rational. In other words, I wonder if most people who began to D as a kid, even once, would score high on Rational personality based on the move to intellectualize rather than emote. Guess I could have been an Idealist if I didn't acquire PTSD from the trauma. I'd be interested in learning that. Gosh, I wonder if this has already been covered by Psychologists...at least I could try to find out. Would anyone else be interested in knowing how PTSD has been shown to effect personality test results if I do find out?

Take good care,
MUSE

Nothing outlined above IMO comes close to Narcolepsy. Dissociation from a young age is perfectly normal if trauma occurred from a young age. If the trauma didn't occur at a young age, then I would suspect more along the lines of a more genetically prone personality disorder, ie. been that way from childhood, trauma happened in adulthood, it continued. If it was pre-existing... more likely Axis II disorder spectrum. If trauma occurred as a child, and you dissociated most of your life from that point... dissociation applies however you could have developed a personality disorder psychologically due to the longevity of the abuse, which is what complex trauma defines.

Hi Muse.

Thank you for your detailed response and interesting thoughts.
I may have been a little vague when I posted this and was a little confused about it at the time so possibly was a bit destracted.

I have since had a very similar incident in therapy whilst dssociating quite strongly and do now think/trust it is dissociative.

I had not really understood that one can dissociate motor skills but I guess the classic freeze state might fall exactly into this category.

I have tended to ignore all things I experience so floating outside my body is something I have experienced from way way back but never thought to mention to anyone; not being able to focus eyes or mind is something I have experienced since way back and never thought to question.

I think this is just a case of total dissociation whilst standing which leads to a fall. Shall try to find out more though!

Hi Anthony,
Thank you for your response.

I now have no doubt I dissociated from a young age. I did not realise the muscular aspect of dissociation was possible and am an expert at self doubt so was very confused.

The type of trauma I was exposed to as a young child is hard for me to call trauma but yes, it was.

Later had a string of more definate incidents but in some ways the emotional abuse stuff still hurts the most.

I have been studying up relentlessly since all started falling into place.

Shall look into personality disorders but do think this is just dissociation. Have had other mental health issues such as eating disorder and depression but am now recovered enough to be able to deal with this and realise what is happening.

Most with complex trauma fall into the dissociative disorder range... the personality aspects is not a major percentage... I think last reading it was around the 20% - 30% range of complex trauma have developed a personality disorder. The majority fit squarely into the dissociative range, even though it may look to others as a personality disorder, a trained physician will identify more dissociative state vs. personality based.

Thanks!

I have had so much therapy over such a long time and this last therapist is the first one to get it. She is also the first trauma therapist I have seen. The difference is like night and day.

I have been totally misundertood so much that therapy itself has proven to be damaging at times. Therapists have thought I was uncoperative when in fact I could not speak or respond.

I feel like my life is starting as I at least have some sense of what and why so much has occured. And can start to forgive myself for freezing in certain situations.

Hi Abstract,
I just want to reach out about what you said..."I have been totally misundertood so much that therapy itself has proven to be damaging at times. Therapists have thought I was uncoperative when in fact I could not speak or respond."
I can certainly relate to that idea and frustration that must be part of that process; here we are doing all we can to get help, and are getting the opposite of help sometimes. On a positive note, I am glad to hear that you finally found someone helpful and specially trained for your needs. That is wonderful.
I found a family Dr. who is especially good at diagnostic ability. She is incisive. I trust her findings as they have proven apt. It is very good to find people who are talented and compassionate; they are gifted to help as part of their job. Many are not and just made it through school to a diploma and license.

Muse

Thanks Muse,
I have had one particularly bad incident in therapy which has been very hard to get over. I have learned to be able to speak up since then and it is protective.

I think there are good and bad professionals in every profession and unfortunately in certain situations we are very vulnerable.

I am glad you found a Dr whom you trust. It helps a lot to have the right support.
I also believe psychiatrists are the experts at diagnoses and very underused but you may possibly have had a bad experience with that as psychiatrists are not therapists and are often not the gentlest of people.

My Dr. is a family Dr. and the diagnostics are physically based. I use a Counselor with a Masters. I have also had issues with the level of elitism and superiority-grandiosity of those highly intelligent professionals you mentioned and those of their set. I haven't tried a PhD Psychologist yet. There are only a few in my area that I have heard a lot of negatives about. Not sure I can go without a preconceived set of images that would get in the way.

By the way, Abstract, I guess my original point is that we tend to think that if we have a problem diagnosed, like PTSD, then all things that seem to cause suffering, like the loss of muscle control for a second or two, might be assumed to be purely psychological. However, I have to remind you that we also have physical bodies, and that the mind-body connection means that interference runs the gamet from both ends to the middle in us.

A PhD has nothing to do with trauma counselling, just in-case people get confused. The majority of counsellors across the world are from a range of backgrounds, and a trauma counsellor is someone who has focused and understands trauma vs. family, substance or relationship counselling techniques. A trauma therapist could be specifically qualified for counselling, could be from a nursing, social work or other health background, they could be a psychologist, with or without a PhD, and on the rare occasion a psychiatrist. There are M.D.'s who shifted from general practitioner to provide trauma counselling.

Just thought I would throw that in to alleviate confusion about trauma therapists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back