• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Dissociation - new ‘symptoms’

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMW83

Learning
Hi Guys,

I have suffered from PTSD (and Agoraphobia, Depression and Anxiety) for almost 4 years now, with me suffering from Dissociation during times of extreme anxiety.

I’ve recently been suffering from almost daily episodes owing to issues I am currently trying to but struggling to deal with. However, I am now suffering with additional symptoms when having these episodes, such as numbness in my left arm, left side of my face, my jaw and tongue.

Has anyone else experienced this or any suggestions as what to do to prevent or stop it as it has been somewhat frightening.

TIA

I sure have. For me, it's a part of depersonalion -- which I know very little about, unfortunately, but I do know that when I've gotten it, it helped to remind myself that I am going to be fine, and it's not a heart problem. (I went to a doctor to confirm as much... you should as well, to confirm. Very important.) I would then do something to help me calm down enough to wait it out or help it go away.

If you haven't yet, I'd ask a doctor about it first, before taking my opinion :) Stress can be hard on the body in so many ways. I'm wishing for good health for you, though.

I’ve spoken with a doctor and they seem to think it’s migraine associated but as this happens during...
I've gotten a similar answer -- the migraine thing. A neurologist finally told me that the PTSD brain can react sort of epilepsy-like, so the brain can get overstimulated during high stress, causing dissociations that also include headaches and numbness.

I don't have much new advice, except that maybe it wouldn't hurt to look into a medication of some sort? I have no idea what kind, unless you wanted to try migrate (which is also epilepsy-like) -- but a psychiatrist would know. I know it's distressing, and I'm sorry you have to deal with it along with everything else.

Apologies Digger. I didn’t see your post. No, I’ve have no medical causes ruled out as owing to my illnesses I have to conduct my doctors appointments and such via telephone. My illnesses as a whole are very niche with my PTSD meaning I cannot engage with males face to face (I am male too), my Agoraphobia means I cannot leave and my home with my local authority not allowing female doctors and such to visit me at home (with me having little control over what happens when I have an episode of disassociating I can understand this)
therefore it is almost impossible to get any medical assistance other than on the telephone.

I’ve spoken with a doctor and they seem to think it’s migraine associated but as this happens during...
I used to do the same thing with my migraines except when I did it was NEVER at all once. It would start in one spot and move up or down depending on where in my brain the migraine began. It doesn't happen anymore with the medication (I assume) I'm on.

And it was never the only symptom

I am now suffering with additional symptoms when having these episodes, such as numbness in my left arm, left side of my face, my jaw and tongue.
spoken with a doctor and they seem to think it’s migraine associated but as this happens during dissociation I don’t believe it is
These aren't typical dissociation symptoms. I do however personally know a couple of people who experience these symptoms with migraine, and interestingly, when I suffer migraine myself I often feel dissociated with it (I experience dissociation at other times too), so I wouldn't necessarily rule that out. Do you take anything for migraines?

Do you have any friends or family who you trust enough to help you try and get to a face to face appointment with a doctor?

I've gotten a similar answer -- the migraine thing. A neurologist finally told me that the PTSD brain...

This makes total sense to me.

And it’s probably why the med that works best for me is an epilepsy med.

I have a friend who sees a neurologist for other issues, and we compare symptoms, compare medications.....it’s amazing how much we overlap even though we have such different disorders.....what I mean is he was born with his physical disorder, I acquired my “damage” through trauma.....pointing to it all being neurological, regardless of the cause.

@SMW83 i had that issue. i couldnt even move my eyeballs at some point it felt like i had sludge in my body. its has an emotional/hormonal basis from my experience. i suggest sound healing bowls to get your energy flowing. i also used this headache stuff aromatherapy stuff to wake me up. just keep yourself woken up i also suggest taking maca.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back