• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Dissociation, What Are Examples?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a little afraid to read the comments (sorry) so I'm sorry if this has been said already.

Daydreaming can certainly be a coping mechanism and a form of "clocking out" of reality. I did it for so many years. For example, as a young child, chilling in a cage, I daydreamed to deal with boredom. As an older child, I sat through my father's yelling by daydreamIng. When I got kidnapped (long story, sorry), I daydreamed through the whole thing. I still daydream often.

It's a very common form of coping, I've been told. It's normal in all children, but can become the best way of coping in some people.

I also dissociate, in the most classic definition. My service dog usually steps in right on time to help me out. The feeling is uncomfortable, confusing, and even more involuntary. You might find yourself aggressively trying to block it out, or replace it with other thoughts. It will bother you, and you may even avoid people or places that triggered it.

My point is that because the field of psychology is rather new in its modern form, the definition of dissociation isn't fully understood by professionals yet. However, without a true definition, you might feel you know what a dissociative episode is to you. That's all it takes. You need to know you. If it doesn't feel like a dissociation, then don't worry about it. If it's not messing with your daily life, then don't worry.

If you daydream so much that your work isn't getting done, then worry about it.

And by the way, being absorbed in a book and being annoyed at being interrupted is normal :) Zoning out can also be normal. Know your normals.

I'm a little afraid to read the comments (sorry) so I'm sorry if this has been said already.

Daydream...
I agree about the point "psychology is rather new in it's modern form". Dissociation is one area that some clinicians seem to shy away from, or seem to have some misconception about. It really causes some misdiagnoses too

It just means I'm not emotionally there. I was just diagnosed a year ago and have had PTSD for 50 years. I"m kinda glad I had it that long really without knowing it ( except for, my relationships really sucked) but anyone would think i was normal because of it. ( well, probably more so on medication...which I take) I was getting super negative in the end to where my best friend would almost pee her pants and want to stay with me until i calmed down. And that was my normal behind closed doors. So it was time. I disassociate by daydreaming ( now)

This board helps me see my observations. Like ,for example thinking most people are really pretty shallow.. etc.

Dang, I know it is terrible to have that, but I am usually in so much aware pain and so damn aware of it...
a couple months ago I went away and it scared me so much. not the going away. but the realization that I had and that I didn't care that I had, that scared me. since then I go away a lot and what scares me now is that I care less and less about coming back. because my life right now is amazing, or would be, if I could just stay long enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back