• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Dissociation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Wicked Child.

High levels are also linked to other conditions such as anxiety disorders and depression but I believe it is very common in PTSD. And the new DSM has a dissociative subtype for those who are particularly that way inclined.

It also has links to personality disorders such as Borderline.

jjh29, I aware that I can nod off while driving and can remember no part of the journey.

I also sleep wake. My neighbour told me once that I when out riding my motorbike as some god forsaken hour. I had no recollection of this. I usually know when I have sleep walked because my clothes are often missing. Other times things are moved about. No idea sometimes were something is missing like my new glasses. I am also locked out of my outhouse because the key has disappeared.

I am also in trouble. I sometimes study women. It is something about a certain woman's eyes or her smile. They act like I am some sort of pervert. It happens without me being aware. I have now outed myself by telling people that I have ptsd. Perhaps I will be forgiven.

It makes me wonder if it would be best to avoid people, as I might get into a fight. But I know isolation is not useful.

There is probably more which I haven't figured out yet.

Are you sleep walking or is it like a dissociative episode/trance? Either I would think would be really dangerous especially when driving.

My neighbour said that I went out on my motorbike and returned later. I guess I was sleep walking. Before my stroke I was a lorry driver. Do I need to give up driving ?

I sleep walk at times although rarely these days and can sleep talk. It's funny as it never occurred to me to get it mixed up with dissociation and it has me thinking. I looked it up and it seems they are totally different mechanisms if I am understanding correctly.

I imagine the easiest way to tell them apart is if they start off when you are awake, or if they happen after a period of being asleep. Sleep walking happens when you get to the right sleep cycle. Things such as narcolepsy are different as you would not be able to drive once in the state.

I avoid driving these days as I really am not able to reliably avoid dissociating. I look back and I think I was a potential danger to others and myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back