• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Do certain places trigger you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amanda3of4

New Here
Hello all,

I was diagnosed with CPTSD in February and am still learning what this means.

Today I went to church and it suddenly occurred to me that every time I come to church I have panic attacks, I become angry and irritable, I become paranoid and think something aweful is about to happen.... and then it occurred to me that church is one of the places where my mother was most likely to abuse. She was very concerned about her image, and at church she was much more likely to focus on us (me and my siblings). And to boot, the church always seemed to agree woth her actions and to approve of her.

It frightens me to think this, but I think church has become a trigger. Is that possible? It's not the same building as when I was younger, but it doesn't seem to matter, always the same symptoms. What can I do to combat this? Will it ever go away?

Thanks for your help,

I had the same realization several years ago. I resigned from the board and haven't been back. Strangely it is one of the most positive steps I have taken in recovery. So much about childhood (I'm cptsd too) comes up when I'm in any spiritual churchy gathering.

I was in a church for an old friend's memorial service and his band played a song he wrote with a lyric "It was that part of town that got me down, I don't go there anymore" It was great advice, I had a hard time driving through the old neighborhood to get there so I haven't gone back since that day.

It seems like it'd be difficult to be spiritual while anxious or mentally uncomfortable. I've got no experience with church services, but the human soul needs to be nourished and nurtured. Would it maybe ease your tension to get better acquainted with the clergy? Not a heavy conversation, something like getting ice cream or chatting about sports.

I was having trouble with one of the schools that I teach in, the hallways and doors had a similarity to my dorm. I have to constantly remind myself that I am in present time, not opening a door to a really awful experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back