• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Do Men Get Ptsd From Watching Their Partners Go Through Traumatic Births?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely not. I experienced sympathy pains and felt miserable. My daughter was born via emergency c-section. Really I was more loving holding my daughter before the mother held her.

Don't you think it could happen?

Imagine if....the only birth a husband saw, before his daughter was born, was that of his previous wife's birthing, where she and the child died?

Or imagine, if a man, who had been a medic, in Afganistan, and had helped deliver a baby, while his military unit was being ambushed?

Or imagine, a man hears his wife, who lets out loud, agonizing sounds, while she is in labor. These sounds remind the man, of his friend dying, in car accident, whom he tried to rescue?

Last edited:
The example they gave of the firefighter is a bad example... He works in trauma. Has been exposed to god alone knows how many CritA stressors over the years. So in his case I'd be really doubtful sitting alone in a room for an hour stressed as f*ck gave him PTSD. I'd suspect, instead, his stress cup went kaboom! and it triggered preexisting PTSD. Dovetailing very neatly into -again, god alone knows how many- similar traumatic births & miscarriages he's been in attendance on, brought home -hard- by now the woman he loves being in the same position. Same thing happened to me 4 years ago. I couldn't protect someone I loved. And kaboom! All my PTSD bullshit I'd had under control for a decade? Front and damn center. :banghead:

Not saying it's not possible. Just that he's probably not a good poster child for it.

Yes, no argument. My point is to consider that any event can either be the primary trauma, and any event can be a trigger; it depends on the sequence, and what the person's brain did with the event.

Yes, no argument. My point is to consider that any event can either be the primary trauma, and any...

Well, I respectfully disagree. Not just any event can cause PTSD. Stubbing your toe can't cause PTSD. I do agree that any event can be a trigger, but the OP isn't about triggering previous trauma. IMHO the discussion of triggering trauma is immaterial when discussing causes of PTSD.

The DMV-5 says 'witnessing any trauma' or 'learns that the traumatic event occurred to a close family member or close friend (with the actual or threatened death being either violent or accidental).

Basically a partner could get PTSD from witnessing a disastrous birth. It doesn't need to end in death, it just needs to feel like their life is threatened and that the person with PTSD felt powerless in the situation to stop it.
In some cases, they might suffer PTSD from being told.
That might be why some of us don't really tell our families and friends what we're going through.

The DSM V actually says:

A. Exposure to actual or threatened death, serious injury, or sexual violence in one (or more) of the following ways:
  1. Directly experiencing the traumatic event(s),
  2. Witnessing, in person, the event(s) as it occurred to others,
  3. Learning that the traumatic event(s) occurred to a close family member or close friend. In cases of actual or threatened death of a family member or friend, the event(s) must have been violent and accidental.
  4. Experiencing repeated or extreme exposure to aversive details of the traumatic event(s) (e.g., first responders collecting human remains; police officers repeatedly exposed to details of child abuse).
Note: Criterion A4 does not apply to exposure to electronic media, television, movies, or pictures, unless the exposure is work related.

It does not say:
'witnessing any trauma'
I have not read the article mentioned in this thread... however, I did read through the responses here, and @Friday probably hit it on the head if the person was a firefighter. They have pre-existing trauma exposure, which more likely makes such an event the catalyst vs the cause.

Saying that, based on the title of this thread, yes, it is possible for a partner to develop PTSD if their partner had a traumatic birth and death was a real possibility in the circumstance unfolding.

The DSM V actually says:

A. Exposure to actual or threatened death, serious injury, or sexual violence in...
Why the hell does it have to be accidental? A friend of mine walked in on her boyfriend post mortem after he blew his own head off with a muzzle loader. What makes that any easier than any other person ( rescuer etc) that sees the same thing?

A friend of mine walked in on her boyfriend post mortem after he blew his own head off with a muzzle loader. What makes that any easier than any other person ( rescuer etc) that sees the same thing?
I think you are misreading a little bit.

Your friend walking in on her boyfriend post-mortem would be considered direct exposure to the event.

'Violent and accidental' (I am fairly sure) is inclusive of suicide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back