• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Do sex jokes or sexual "humor" upset you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Changing4Best

MyPTSD Pro
Do sex jokes or sexual "humor" upset you?

I had the unpleasant occasion this week of being on an hour and a half long bus ride with 2 men sitting behind me who told sex jokes and talked about their previous girlfriends and ex-wives in a most unflattering sexual way for the whole way there and back. They were speaking very loudly. Even a woman who was sitting 4 seats in front of them could hear some of it, although the air conditioning system was very loud on that bus.

I felt like I was a captive audience, but I did not feel that it would be in my proper place to say anything about it. None the less, it ruined the whole trip for me. Even days later, today, I am still rattled about it.

Would this kind of thing have upset you too, or am I just too sensitive?

Also, what do you fellows think about this kind of thing? Does it make you uncomfortable at all? Or is this just normal "guy talk?"

No provided I know they are a "joke" or intended as humor. I can engage or remove myself as I wan...

Well, since you and I are both of the same faith, I think I shall quote the Bible verse in my thoughts on this subject today:

"Romans 12:2 Don't be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what is the good, well-pleasing, and perfect will of God." (World English Bible, the online quotable Bible from Wikipedia).

This is the thought I have. That if I allow my mind to be conformed to this world's way of thinking these days, that if I tolerate this and let it be and continue, (because it has been continuing for quite some time and it has negatively affected others), then I am being an accessory to it. I am allowing it to hurt others. So I have done something about it, I've spoken to a person in a position of authority about it and let it be known that I don't appreciate this. Another person who feels this way has also complained.

Personally, as a victim of sexual assault and of childhood molestation, both situations in which I was powerless to control them, this situation brings me right back there to those horrors. I feel powerless to do anything about it, because I know that the persons doing it would not change, if I were to say anything about my not appreciating this type of humor. In fact, I know that it would escalate, if *I* were the person to complain to the men who are doing this.

I also have seen them pick on and tease a frail 90 year old man and call him a "homewrecker." They have done this to him in public and even gone so far as to "warn the grocery clerk that he is a homewrecker." This poor old man is defenseless against this too. He says nothing, but I can see that it bothers him!

There are some things in life for which I think "practicing tolerance" is not the right action, and I see this as one of those things.

Also, just for the record, although the other dozen or so folks on that bus are normally talkative and friendly with one another, for this bus ride they were all silent. I cannot help but think that this conversation, especially since it was so loud, overpowered any other conversation that might normally have taken place on a long bus ride!

Public transport conversations that are louder than they need to be often end up getting my goat...

Yes, headphones would have come in mighty handy at that point. So true! Unfortunately, I did not have any with me. SIGH....

:laugh: I will try to! :hug:

:hug: to you too! And thanks for the thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Romans 12:2 Don't be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what is the good, well-pleasing, and perfect will of God." (World English Bible, the online quotable Bible from Wikipedia).

This is very convicting- thank you for not being afraid of speaking truth! As to what happened it sounds like these men were being very degrading to women by talking about previous sexual encounters on a bus like that- yes that would really upset me! However, I don't tend to be offended by sexual innuendoes and things but, I am hoping that changes soon as I am starting to change myself in this area with God's help and mighty hand of course :) I remember my EX making fun of his ex gf about something sexual and it did really offend me because I don't think joking about things in that area is the least bit funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back