• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Do Us English Find Uk English Annoying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HereWeAre

This is the most random thread ever but would love to ask it. I posted a thread in discussion on a trauma related thread yesterday.

Anyhow, here in the UK a lot of people will find American English irritating to listen to. People of all ages, but especially young people, will get teased or warned against using American words. A lot of people will also say that they are not proper English.

I'd love to know, does the opposite happen in America?

Not living the US, but I am living in Canada. I was however raised in the UK. I am from Yorkshire. So now I get to answer your question both ways :woot:

As someone from the UK, I don't find the sound of a North American accent bothersome. Which is fortunate, seeing as I'm surrounded by them. Despite some of them mistaking my accent as being Scottish. I don't know how anyone could get that mixed up.

Anyways...

As someone who has spent many years in North America, I find some of the regional accents from the UK to be rather irritating, yes. :p:troll: lol

It is not the words that annoy me so much as predictive text and auto- correct insisting on American spellings. I like 's' rather than 'z' in recognise and many other words. I like to go to the centre and paint with colour and it annoys me that I have to override the computer to allow it.

On the other hand I cannot even ' add to the dictionary' some Scottish place names. They are simply non- existent. I think the computer sees them as random letters rather than words.

It is not accents that bother me but spellings. I am a stickler for correct grammar, but have worked hard to ignore it and not see it as a personal insult.

My vet refuses to acknowledge certain "Americanisms". If I tell him the dog is on the couch he responds that we don't own a couch. We have a lounge. :rolleyes:

His other pet peeve is the loss of the suffix "ly". For example: "You can fire real quick" is US English. UK English translation "You can fire really quickly."

For me the one thing that drives me nuts - and I have no idea where it came from - is kids that say "I was versing Johnno and I nearly beat him." Versing??? :banghead: You were playing against Johnno or you were competing against Johnno or you were pitted against Johnno or almost an infinite number of things depending on circumstances but you were not versing him. (Unless this was some kind of poetry eisteddfod. :p)

Well im a Yorkshire lass and even people in the uk cant understand what i say !!!
Ive travelled a lot in the US and Canada (have family in Canada) and many times i had to have someone interprate ! Most of the time i was asked to say certain words for the comedy aspect - Yorkshire folk tend to miss words out and say 't' rather than 'the' ie I'm off t'park rather than I am off to the park - drives people nuts !!
I agree with the comments above re spellcheck and auto correct mispelling.
Good thread :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back