• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll Do You Believe That PTSD Affects You Physically and Mentally? If so, How?

Do You Believe That PTSD Affects you Physically and Mentally? If so, How?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
yes. Headaches are the worst for me. I get tired and worn but my worst physical symptom are the headaches. I never got them before the trauma. I never really knew what one was. Now I get them all the time, especially when Im really feeling the psychological effects of PTSD.

the tiredness that comes with depression, the anxiety causes shaking, muscles twitching, stomach pain, throat closing up, tight neck and shoulders, headaches, insomnia,that crazy startle thing--that's enough to make you crazy right there.

I would say, as my doctors also would say, that most of my chronic health problems:angry-fla sorry, my dh just put that in there. As I was saying, my chronic healths problems relate to trauma and then the holding it in for so many years. I started having health problems early in my twenties, and they have progressed to the point that I applied for disability 3 years ago since I can only work part-time now, and couldn't work for several years because of PTSD.

I have suffered from IBS, Interstitial cystitis, GERD, Fibromyalgia, Arthritis, Ulcers, pain syndromes, and then of course suicidal depression, PTSD, disassociation, etc.

I am now able to work a few hours a week, as mentally I am in much better shape than I have been for 6-7 years. But physically I am going downhill, with other problems presenting themselves that are a result of genetics and age.

So with a resounding YES I would say that PTSD has affected my physical and emotional well-being from childhood.

:crazy-eye

I get headaches often, have muscle spasms, panic atacks, I don't sleep well, my body aches at times and I feel too nauseated to eat.

I startle easly and will freeze, unable to move, while I try and get some control over the run run run going through my mine.

So, yes, I'd have to say PTSD does affect me physically and mentally.
Though it would be interesting to see how it affects people socio-economically too.

Absolute belief PTSD phys and ment

Abosolutely! I have symptoms from the past and present which differ in severity and type. Past being more severe, present symptoms more controlled.
Some present physical symptoms being:
Exaggerated and unexplained fatigue and weariness,
specific physical pain / body memories.
Sky-high anxiety, depression bouts, Inability to control mind and relaxation / hypervigilant,
Nasuea, headaches and……Past: sudden and severe onset of one or combo of physical symptoms:
Loss of appetite, shaking, choking sensation
hyperventilation, bodily numbeness,
uncontrollable and exaggerated jerking of arm,
nasuea, seizure activity, loss of muscle control,
amnesiac and/or fugue state of mind, periods of unreasonable adrenaline, physical need to vomit, ulcers.

I know that my anxiety is climbing when I feel my muscles begin to tense or hurt. Most of the time it starts around my bellybutton (don't ask me why) and spreads outwards. Sometimes I get random spots of muscle tension. I've finally realized that it's my body's way of trying to get my attention that I'm letting things get to me or that I need to pay attention to what's going on around me and work on getting my anxiety back down.

I've also noticed that I run out of energy so much sooner than I used to. After work, all I want to do is just sit and watch TV or read. Sometimes the energy it takes just to have a conversation feels like too much. When I have a good day with lots of energy (mostly weekends) I get as much done as I can because I know that I'm gonna crash sooner than usual. I exercise (yoga and fencing) but sometimes it takes all of my willpower just to get my butt out the front door.

Physically I start trembling/shaking sometimes sevrely out of control, heart palpitations, my ankle starts to hurt, and I get headaches. I can't stand for too long because I feel faint due to exhaustion. Also, I get sick when the ptsd gets worse.

Mentally I change completely almost. I don't trust people, I don't feel safe, I isolate myself thinking that's the only way for me to stay safe, anxiety kicks in, and I'm just exhausted mentally.

I agree that the symptoms are both mental and physical. For me because I also have other issues that cause me pain, I am getting to the point of knowing WHICH problem is causing what. What I have noticed when I was on the pain killers, they might have taken the back pain away BUT did nothing for the pain from the PTSD. For my being physical is both a mental and physical challange and cause such great fatigue. I have to always be aware of what I am doing and watch my balance so closely. My house looks like a POST IT WAREHOUSE, so YOU BET CHA it is both.

Ann

My PTSD really effects my physical health. When I was first diagnosed I was suffering from really bad stomach ulcers and had lost a lot of weight. Everytime I feel upset or get triggered I lose my appetite, even now. The worst thing is that for a long time, I wouldn't go to the doctor when ill, until my illness got intolerably bad. So as a result I've had untreated pneumonia twice, and now I have quite severe asthma and have to see a pulmunologist regularly. The pulmonologist and my family doctor both say I am a "poor perceiver". They didn't really explain it, but I gather it means that I don't realize it when I'm sick, or I ignore it and carry on.

I can really relate to the whole mental exhaustion thing too... I feel like that everytime I have to go into a new situation, which is a lot now, as I am looking for a job.

I might be the only one that says no. Maybe it does affect me both ways but I have been able to manage the physical symtoms. I have always been a health and fitness nut. I am a little obsessive about it. My whole life I have, almost obsesively, exercised, eaten healthy, and slept on a schedule. When I am depressed or upset, I do this even more so. I tell myself that something is wrong and I have to make myself better. I almost never get sick or hurt.
I definitely have nights where I don't sleep and I definitely have a racing heart beat when I see a report about Iraq. I have times where I am very tired but I can usually push through these times when they come. I would see these more as mental symptoms anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back