1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Do You Chew Your Nails?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by anthony, Jul 10, 2007.

Do You Chew Your Nails From Stress?

1. Yes

33 vote(s)
    47.8%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    26.1%
  3. I pick fingernails or toenails or both

18 vote(s)
    26.1%
  1. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

I wonder how many chew their nails because of stress / anxiety.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

I'm really bad for this. I often bite my nails until they bleed, I rip my toenails off and pick at my skin until it bleeds too. A lot of the time I do it unaware, and then realize it later. I'm starting to see the connection, in that I do it more when I'm stressed out.

4. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

I don't actually chew them, I rip them apart! I catch myself doing it all the time and it's a horrible habit. Blah.

bec

5. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

Yeah I do that with my toenails, tear them off, rip them apart! It's really gross. A lot of times I bleed from it. You're right it's a disgusting habit.

6. Marlene

Marlene I'm a VIP Premium Member

I keep my nails trimmed extremely short so there's nothing for me to pick and peel apart. Otherwise I end up with infections from tearing at my nails.

7. hodge

hodge I'm a VIP Premium Member

Yeah, I do all of this, too. It's really awful and disgusting. The last time I was able to keep my fingers looking nice was before my wedding to my husband. My mother-in-law told me a couple weeks beforehand that she wanted to give me a manicure for our wedding. I thought that was so sweet, and I was able to leave my hands alone for those days so that I could go to the manicurist and not be embarressed about my nails, which are really naturally strong and nice, by the way. But I went back to it again after the wedding. I hate it. I do it unawares usually, too. I can see it's a form of self-destructiveness. I figure that it will abate as I continue in healing.

8. kers

kers I'm a VIP

No nail-chewing, although I have long had the habit of biting my fingers or arm. It crosses the line into self-harm, in my opinion, so now I try to just wring my hands. Not much relief, though!

9. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

I wonder why you posted but did not answer! I pick the hell out of my nails. Always fidgeting with my hands. I bit my nails as a kid but seemed to outgrow it.

10. She Cat

She Cat I'm a VIP Premium Member

Well actually I used too chew them, pick them, and eventually they would bleed. But now I pay $60 a month for acrylic nails so I won't do that. LOL!!!!! The minute one falls off though.....Oh crap it's bleeding in less than an hour.

11. Shinigami_Shimai

Shinigami_Shimai Active Member

Very much so. I gnaw at them until the edges bleed at times. I also chew on my hands and arms. I try not to do this infront of others and I remember the strange way Kim stared at me when I started biting my arm. I've tried to stop biting myself for her sake, but I've turned to scratching and now my doctor wants me to go back to biting my nails because it is less destructive.... *sighs*

Kat

12. kkoehler

kkoehler New Member

Weird thing is I used to bite my nails but since the PTSD, I've stopped only to begin other bad habits. Its like I'm different person now, habits, dress and all.

13. skyward_falls

skyward_falls Member

I will chew and bite my nails down so low on the nail bed it my fingers will throb and bleed and just plain hurt for a few days. I dig into the sides of the nail and at the cuticle with my teeth. Its a nervous habit of mine. I get so carried away with it I don't realize that the whole room could be staring at me in disgust - nor would I care because I am busy. :-P