• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Do You Cut Your Hair When Stressed/triggered?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have changed my hair color and styles a lot in my life. Knowing my "real" hair color is sometimes a joke. What I've realized looking back is that when I've been in a really bad place mentally, such as with an abusive boyfriend, I have destroyed my hair; cut it short, awful colors... I'm sure there was something subliminal going on with that.

I have this naturally blonde/brown hair and I absolutely hate it. So as soon as I see my roots I dye and cut my hair myself or I go somewhere to get it done. My natural hair reminds me too much of my abuser my mother.

Getting hair cut tomorrow but had difficulty getting an appointment with who I wanted. Ironically mister expedited the appointment but she told him "I don't cut long hair unless it's a full moon" to which he replied "She already has hair to her butt so I don't think that's gonna be an issue".

Good man, I passed to her she's only gonna cut the top anyways. :O_o: :whistling:

I see a lot of similarities in these stories when I reflect on all of the times I felt an overwhelming impulse to dye , cut off or shave my hair to the scalp. At the same time I'm pleasantly surprised that there seem to be people who have dealt with what I am currently going through. I like some other people here have a history of cutting and since I stopped I have been having trouble stopping the impulse to change my hair.

I have been known to cut my hair when I am at a difficult point in my life. I've had many pixie cuts over the years. A friend of mine that once cut all his dreadlocks off (that was almost like a part of who he was) told me that cutting them off was like letting go of years of pain, bad memories, and starting over fresh.

I've also cut my hair in the past because it was one of the things I had control of when I was in an abusive marriage.

I just cut my hair really short last week because I'm starting new things and wanted a physical change. I'm going back to college in my late 30s and I'm running my own business after being laid off from my tech job. When things change in my life, I like to reinvent myself too.

i just cut my hair. I have GAD, OCD, MDD. I got very sick recently was laid off and my teenage son is just a handful. I have intense anxiety 3 days straight. I can't even control my weight. But my hair! Yes, it was liberating and felt new and empowering. It's a strange feeling so I had to google it

I keep cutting my hair when I,am depressed,I have no fringe at all,and you can see my hairline.I use to have lovely long hair.I even take a razor to my hair.I have been doing this for years,can,t seem to break the habit.

I used to dye my hair until I developed a severe reaction to the dye and my scalp would be very itchy and break out in small boils.

I have been under a lot of stress for a long time, and my hair was falling out so I took the scissers and cut my own extremely short, not a good look, so I wear a bandana to hide my hair each day. I have a wonderful bandana collection of so many different colors and patterns on them. This is a good look for me so if my hair is still falling out I do not see it as much anymore.

Not specifically, but i notice I cut my hair whenever i'm going through a transition. When i was ready to leave my hubby i did a huge haircut and when i was ready to embark on this trauma work another pretty big one lol.

A few weeks ago, I don't know what happened, I was so stressed or annoyed or something I just chopped off 5 inches of my hair at 4 am. My roommate wasn't around for the weekend, and I couldn't tell how uneve it was and I was too embarassed to go the a hair dresser. My roommate helped me fix it a bit, but then i chopped off a little more in the back and it is still uneven.

i don't feel so alone in this anymore thank you allllll. I was so depressed a couple years ago & didn't understand it then but I would dye my hair LIKE CRAZY. brown, red, pink, purple, rocked blue for a long time. chopped it off, dyed it black. I got better & had normal boring brown hair for a long time even have highlights & a hair stylist like a "proper lady"and it's long down my back now. However my anxiety/depression is back and I have put down scissors a few times now stopping myself from just CHOPPING. good to know I'm not the only one but I'll probably be bald soon, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back