• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll Do You Ever Have Selective Mutism?

Do you ever have selective mutism?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

physicist13

Confident
Sometimes when people are talking about things related to my trauma I just lose the ability to speak... this is especially true when in larger groups (i.e. classes). I can kind of think and move my mouth, but at best I can just make noise, not actually say words. When I was in the hospital (right after assault) this was somewhat also the case. Is this just me?

I often stop speaking when I get stressed or triggered. I went through a time as a kid when I nearly stopped speaking altogether for months at a time. I still do it, sort of a coping mechanism I think, I stop talking or go to minimal talking; I don't know why but it makes me feel safer

I have some speech difficulties, but I am not sure I could classify them as mutism. My voice will falter, I sometimes stumble over words, but it is not really a stutter either. A noise that is not what I planned comes out, then I correct it, sometimes mid-sentence. Sometimes I have to stop and then restart. Does that make any sense? (So I answered "Other") above.
Added in an edit:
However, when I was very young, until I was nearly 4 years old, I did not speak intelligibly at all, only stringing out long "sentences" of jibberish. This is said to have been due to my dyslexia, though I think it also had to do with being threatened with death, should I tell about what was being done to me. That is just a guess.

Added in another edit:
I just remembered, I did have it one time when we saw a program on TV about sexual molestation of children. I could not speak to tell my husband what had happened to me. I did cry though. Finally I wrote it down. I could do that!

Last edited:
Yes, although I tend to refer to it as traumatic mutism. It isn't actually that I am 'selecting' to not speak. I know I am about to shut down, body wise, when this happens.

@Anarchy, I believe, knows what in the brain is responsible for this. I can't recall. I went looking but couldn't find it.

I have had major and debilitating episodes of selective mutism in my life. It occurs on occasions when I am traumatised, overwhelmed, reminded of past traumas. It feels disempowering. Selective mutism is often highly synonymous with Autism, and I was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder syndrome five years ago. I dislike telling people about it since people often treat me differently because of it. The jury is out on whether the diagnosis was appropriate, since, if you place the diagnostic criteria for PTSD and Autism Spectrum Disorder side by side, there are an unsettling number of similarities. I will be seeking a diagnosis of PTSD anyway, since I feel it is the more appropriate diagnosis. My friend who committed suicide was also on the autism spectrum and also suspected he had PTSD, he experienced massive flashbacks. He was a deeply angry individual. Sadly, a traumatised autistic person can often appear to be highly aggressive and may even mistakenly be labelled as being personality disordered even if they are fundamentally kind and giving. But yes, selective mutism - it is very much a prominent part of my life.

Brocca's region, it seems to control words. It's located on the left side just about where your ear is.

Bessel van ber Kolk had fMRI Scans done of volunteers triggered into flashbacks. The Brocca's region going off line was one of the key effects.

Interestingly the united named equivalent area on the right side that controls tone, tune, rhythm and cadence, stays working. So it may be possible to hum or sing replies that cannot be spoken.

Hugs @shimmerz

Yep, when I go on the suicidal edge I can't speak. I also have trouble when speaking outloud about my trauma. My eyes hit the floor, I start to disocissiate and with that studder and have horrible issues saying anything. My therapist helps in many ways.

Outside of therapy I have been triggered at work when someone came onto the phone (call center) that sounded just like my mom. Work is normally a great distraction that helps me get through the day but I have been triggered to complete mutism at work, where I need to speak on the phone. I've had this happen many times in conversations with people too but it happens most frequent when I am on the suicide edge and when speaking about my trauma. Or when severely triggered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back