• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Do you ever think that maybe nothing happened to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlassBison

New Here
I am going through some sort of denial where I feel like I made up my trauma. Logically I know I couldn't have... I was diagnosed with ptsd, I have details impossible to know otherwise, There was no reason to make it up, I have had ptsd "episodes" in public. I used to be absolutely sure, but now the retrieved memories that were once clear have faded, everything is foggy....

Am I alone in this? Does this happen to other people?

I totally get that. I am so used to second guessing myself from a history of being ignored, invalidated, belittled, gaslit and having my experience and basically my personhood denied.
I am getting it a lot reading stuff here, I have to go over a lot of ground that cannot be denied, before I once more can validate my right to be here.
It's very weird and kind of surreal. Maybe it's another symptom?
Plus I have a lot of blanks in my memory bank, especially early childhood, but I know I've had this traumatization from very, very young, it's just been compounded and compounded by more traumatic and person-destroying stuff.

Thank you :-) it's ok. I have a lovely partner and friends who validate me, love me, treat me very well, now. It's just from a lot of years in my formative life; childhood and a 21 year abusive relationship, so lots to reprogram and lots of brain/cognitive repattening/restructuring to do.:-) I'll get there, we'll get there, if we do what needs to be done, I believe.

Denial was the only way I could handle the memories for about the first ten years of remembering what happened to me. I had DID too. So I'd remember and then deny it. I kept a journal and that became the only way to know for certain what I remembered.

I am going through some sort of denial where I feel like I made up my trauma. Logically I know I cou...
Yup, it happens to me all the time and makes me feel crazy, but I'm not. I think it's a way of protecting ourselves. It's a way to give ourselves a much needed break from the never ending burden of PTSD. How does your body feel when you "forget" for a little while? Do you notice a difference? I do. I feel relief for a very little while, then bang...those memories are back in HD color, but somehow I feel more capable of dealing with the memories because of the break I've taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back