1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Do You Experience Hallucinations That Appear Unrelated To Your Trauma?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Kathy, Jul 13, 2007.

Do You Experience Hallucinations That Appear Unrelated To Your Trauma?

1. I have experienced hallucinations (visual, auditory or sensory) related to my trauma only.

18 vote(s)
    23.7%
  2. I have experienced some hallucinations which are not obviously trauma related.

42 vote(s)
    55.3%
  3. I have never experienced hallucinations of any kind.

16 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. Kathy

Kathy I'm a VIP

My niece has recently begun experiencing visual and auditory hallucinations which do not appear to be connected to her trauma. She has experienced sights and sounds in the form of flashbacks to her father shooting her, but these recent experiences are dramatically different. For example, she will see strange animals, hear pleasant voices, and so on. Quite unlike the frightening yet familiar experiences she has with a flashback. My husband and I are attempting to sort through it all, and are curious of the experiences of others here. I understand it may be a topic others are loathe to discuss in public, hence this poll. I will beg your pardon if the term "hallucinations" seems slightly offensive, but I am attempting to distinguish between trauma flashbacks and hallucinations which may have other causes. Thank you to all who participate.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Shinigami_Shimai

Shinigami_Shimai Active Member

*raises hand slightly* My parents have sent me to many therapists because I tended to see things that were not there... I rarely talk about it anymore because most people look at me funny and I just pretend it is all part some story I'm working on... I used to think that I had one foot in a dream world and learned to not talk about what I saw or they would think I was even more crazy then before. Alot of that slowed down as I got older, but I still remember some of the strangeness from when I was younger and it makes me feel confused and even more insane then before. So I stick with the notion that this is just part of being a writer/artist and try to cope as best that I can and keep things to my stories so I don't ended up locked away for the third time in my life...

The one thing that makes me feel better is the fact that I got my newest psycho doctor to admit that there is no way he can prove that what I'm seeing is not really there. I'm not sure why I consider this a victory, but my doc has taken an extreme interest in my novel about just this subject and it worries me alittle...

jaa ne

Kat

Kathy likes this.
  4. kers

kers I'm a VIP

I've only had olfactory (smell) hallucinations, but they aren't all trauma-related.

5. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

Well I'm the reason my aunt started this poll but I voted anyhow. I've had hallucinations as part of flashbacks, and as my aunt mentioned, bizarre ones lately. Hearing things mostly, voices and other noises. I also see things, strange people or animals. Or see objects which others see, but with odd colours. Like a bird might look green to me when everyone else says it's yellow. Weird stuff like that. I have strange sensations on my skin sometimes too. Occasionally I feel like someone is grabbing me. I've smelled blood and urine, but that is connected to my trauma.

6. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

Yep. I have some strange ones. I get the nightly "bug" ones, where I can feel bugs crawling all over me. I have to get up and check myself and my bed a ton of times before it goes away and I can get to sleep. I have no idea why I get this and it's very irritating! I also get weird burning smells (and no idea where that came from either.) Most of the rest of it is trauma related that I can identify.

fun fun.

bec

Oh, I wanted to add that I have had full-blown ones where I've seen a threatening male in my room, or someone trying to get in my house. Although trauma related, in a way, they are never a specific person. And it's always worse and frequent when under more stress than usual.

7. Kathy

Kathy I'm a VIP

Well I must say I am very grateful for the responses thus far, thank you. It seems there are a few of you with these strange experiences. I feel for you all, however it is encouraging to see Evie is not alone in this.

8. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Find it interesting that several people chose option 2. Certainly not what the wife and myself were were expecting. Thank you for voting.

Jim.

9. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

I think it's interesting that no one has voted for the first option yet! Maybe I'm not as weird as I thought. Here's hoping...

10. Shinigami_Shimai

Shinigami_Shimai Active Member

You know I've never considered being weird as a bad thing... then maybe that is me and sometimes I smile and say, "I'm insane" without really caring.

But I know what you mean, seeing that there are a few others out there that see things other then things related to our trauma does make me feel alittle better about myself. I'll still not openly talk about some of those things I see for fear of what people would think, but I know seeing things is just a part of being who I am and I would not change that for anything, maybe lessen a few of the PSTD symtoms but not change anything.

Well, jaa ne

Kat

11. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

Yes in some ways weird is good. Weird is what makes me a good artist. I should embrace the weirdness a bit more I guess. :)

12. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Evie, its simply not how PTSD works, hence why you will see very little of choice one selected. Yes, you have to account for where people lay within their PTSD journey though, ie. got PTSD and got help immediately, so someone may only get trauma related hallucinations, which is generally viewed under flashbacks, and flashbacks "are not" restricted to trauma alone, but can include anything the mind see's fit to strike upon oneself.

The longer a person has had PTSD untreated, the chances are quite high they would have endured hallucinations of various kinds, though simply do not admit too it suspecting they could be locked up and the key thrown away. People still just don't get how much stress plays upon our mind...

For those that forgot where it is, must read [DLMURL]http://www.ptsdforum.org/thread253.html[/DLMURL] which I now made sticky in the PTSD news forum for ease of finding as its a popular thread. PTSD is extreme stress, and when you read, learn and understand that thread, you will understand the issues and dysfunctions associated to ourselves that stress is the major attributable factor. It lowers our immune system, it shuts us down, it burns us out, it makes us see things that don't actually exist, it gives heart attacks, liver and kidney failure, and the list goes on and on. PTSD is the extreme end of any stress related action basically speaking. Your mind and body is under extreme stress when uncontrolled, high stress when your moderating your life, and a little above what would be classed as normal stress when managed.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  13. permban0077

permban0077 Policy Enforcement Banned

I have gotten some off the wall shit that I chalked up to lack of sleep aside from "flash backs". You would be amazed what you can see, feel, and hear when worn out. Once I saw a huge Oak tree spring up in the middle of the hi-way, I pulled over to nap. That was when I was driving from Houston to Minnesota. I was told this won't end (something like that) when in total anguish of PTSD. I was losing sleep. Feel people touch you... Luckily it is rare for me now. My body says to hell with it and passes out where ever and when I have attacks if it is cold enough temperatures.