• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll Do You Feel Guilty For PTSD Related Behaviour?

Do You Feel Guilty for PTSD Related Behaviour

• Yes, often.

Votes: 115 63.9%
  • Yes, sometimes.

Votes: 48 26.7%
  • Not anymore.

Votes: 10 5.6%
  • Seldom or Never.

Votes: 7 3.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jim, as the daughter who caused pain and heartache to my mother by my PTSD actions, Yes, I feel guilty for what I put her through.

I don't feel guilty for my actions because I know I am sick and was undiagnosed at the time. It hurts me to know that I hurt her. For that I feel guilty and try daily to make it up to her.

It is the guilt of causing her parents pain and sorrow that I think is bothering your daughter more than the actual deed itself.

Believe you are correct in your guess Herc, though there is no need for Evie to feel that way. Her fault, not her fault, she's forgiven either way. Suppose the issue is, she has to forgive herself! Good to know though, you feel similarly with regards to your mother.

Jim.

Jim- I have been living (so to speak) with this for over 8 years. I am getting a grasp on my guilt but I have been beating myself up over this for years. "What if I had stayed home from work that day? What if I did not enter that building?" etc. For me it's as if I was aware of my behavior and yet not aware at all. If de-realization and de-personalization enter in then I tended to feel at blame for many things unrelated because I was not sure what I was doing. It may be hard to grasp but at times she may not feel in control-Fear. Self Forgiveness can be helpful, in time.

Be well

I am getting a grasp on my guilt but I have been beating myself up over this for years. "What if I had stayed home from work that day? What if I did not enter that building?" etc.

Much appreciated Chris. Though believe you are speaking about guilt over the trauma itself? My daughter had that as well. However. In this poll I am asking about guilt over one's behaviour after the trauma. Guilt over how one treats friends and loved ones whilst ill. Good points though, thank you.

Jim.

Guilt is the hardest to overcome. I am plagued with it. I don't know how to move beyond it. The behavior I had while raising my daughter, was awful. She hates me, and will never forgive me. I don't blame her. I caused her a lot of misery with my behavior.

I am still in the "If only" mode. I don't think I will ever be able to move beyond it either. Just knowing the pain I caused her........

Ah yes. Parental guilt. That is a tough one Wendy. Even for someone without PTSD. Uncertain what to do about that one. Suffer from it myself unfortunately.

Jim.

yes, i do. I'm usually at work and intruding thoughts creep in, smells of cigarettes, etc all get me very down. I work with very great people who help and know something is going on (they dont know what but know something is wrong). It makes me feel guilty because when this happens, I leave and throw up, or pass out. That makes me feel extremely guilty because it puts extra work on everyone else, makes their job that much harder when I'm down and out. I try to avoid that and keep things under control, but sometimes I just slip.

Not anymore Jim. I got this PTSD because of the stupidity and idiocy of the community. I don't really give a rats ass if my PTSD offends them. It's like digging a big hole then whining because it filled with water during the last storm. They did this to me, and while I hate it and will do what I can to make it less-affecting to me, I couldn't care less if the community doesn't like it.

Actually, the more I think of it, I hope they don't like it. I hope it bugs the living hell out of them. I hope it terrifies them.
Because for so long Jim, it has terrified me.

I feel guilty for things. Especially when I snap at my husband or blurt out something mean I was trying to hold back because I knew it was irrational and PTSD related.

I answered yes, sometimes. Yes I do feel guiltly but at the same time, everyone knows my response to triggers, my reactions, and lack of interest is due to my PTSD. Yes, there are times when I cannot function , yes there are days and plans that get ruined, yes, at times I am an emotional mess. I decided that a lack of understanding and patience is detrimental to my success especially when I am not exhibiting destructive behaviors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back