• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll Do You Fidget?

Do you fidget?

• I constantly fidget!

Votes: 81 44.0%
  • I often fidget

Votes: 74 40.2%
  • I sometimes fidget

Votes: 23 12.5%
  • I don't fidget

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • I don't know

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lisa

MyPTSD Pro
When I fidget, I fidget relentlessly. There are times when people tell me "God will you stay in one place!!". If I'm not shifting, tensing, wringing my hands, scratching my head or ear, tapping my foot, crossing/uncrossing legs, I'm twiddling my hair.

Having just realised that for the last 3 hours that I have been sitting here, I have been twiddling my hair over and over, I figured this would be a good post!

So who is willing to confess to fidgeting?

I constantly fidget, before I was diagnosed with PTSD, my Dad thought I had ADHD...he still thinks I have it.

I fidget constantly...and when family members tell me to stop...I stop for a little bit and then continue...or it just takes another form (ie. tappin foot to tapping fingers...lol).

Never realized that what I did was fidgetting.

When I go to doc or lab with mom I HAVE to have my hand held solitaire game to play with other wise I twirl my hair, move my feet in circles, make ticking noises with my mouth, anything to just be moving in some way. At the store in checkout lines I tap my fingers, sort and organize the items in the basket and make those ticking noises.

Boy I'm just a real mess! !

I voted yes to constantly fidgeting, but this is because of my autism and isn't directly related to my PTSD. In autistics, it's called "stimming". It's actually a useful activity because it helps to calm me down if I am overstimulated. I don't know if it's true of those with PTSD too, but with autistics, stimming helps our brains process sensory information. Tapping my toes or flicking my fingers is actually a good thing for me in that respect. I get really freaked out if I'm not allowed to move. I could have a total meltdown if someone were to try to prevent me from moving.

I fidget too. I wrap the sleeves of my hoodie around and around until they're so tight around my arms. It makes me feel safe. What I ended up doing to stop it was I bought two tensor bandages and wrapped them around my arms under my hoodie so no one can see. It's actually lowering the number of panic attacks I've been having.

Constantly-swinging my leg back and forth, wringing my hands, used to pull at my ear until someone was rude with a remark about it-so I stopped that one. Constantly rubbing my feet back and forth on each other (with legs crossed, of course). Even as I go to sleep at night, I need to rub my feet together to calm me down.

The wringing of the hands is getting more noticeable, so I have been putting my hands into my opposite sleeves when talking with people-like I am cold. The swinging of the leg is done in the dark (movies), or under a table-so it isn't as noticeable.....yet.

I drive my family nuts

I am constantly jiggling my leg up and down on its toe. It's the knee bounce.

They get the most aggravated by it at the table, Sometimes things do vibrate or slide around.

They also get visually annoyed when I am sitting in the living room.

My family and therapist use it as a barometer of my anxiety.

My therapist will often notice the speed of the bounce in order to determine if this is going to be a crammed full session or relaxed.

I can't help it - but atleast it doesn't hurt me or anyone else.

I fidget when I am at the doctor's or therapist's office. Other than that, not too much...at least I think.

From Cindy:
"I am constantly jiggling my leg up and down on its toe. It's the knee bounce."

I also do this, but for me it isn't the same thing as fidgetting because I can't help it. I try to shake out my leg, but it's like it has a mind of its own!

I too move all the time. Batgirl, good information to know. Our friends have a autistic child and & anything that makes her feel comfortable around us is good to know. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back