1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do You Fidget?

Discussion in 'PTSD Polls' started by Lisa, Jan 28, 2008.

?

Do you fidget?

1. I constantly fidget!

43 vote(s)
    44.8%
  2. I often fidget

36 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. I sometimes fidget

13 vote(s)
    13.5%
  4. I don't fidget

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  5. I don't know

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. Lisa

Lisa New Member

When I fidget, I fidget relentlessly. There are times when people tell me "God will you stay in one place!!". If I'm not shifting, tensing, wringing my hands, scratching my head or ear, tapping my foot, crossing/uncrossing legs, I'm twiddling my hair.

Having just realised that for the last 3 hours that I have been sitting here, I have been twiddling my hair over and over, I figured this would be a good post!

So who is willing to confess to fidgeting?
  2. Claire

Claire VIP Member

guilty as charged! my friends and family are constantly taking the piss out of me for it.
  3. SoloJade

SoloJade New Member

I constantly fidget, before I was diagnosed with PTSD, my Dad thought I had ADHD...he still thinks I have it.
  4. reallydown

reallydown VIP Member

I fidget constantly...and when family members tell me to stop...I stop for a little bit and then continue...or it just takes another form (ie. tappin foot to tapping fingers...lol).
  5. Grama-Herc

Grama-Herc VIP Member

Never realized that what I did was fidgetting.

When I go to doc or lab with mom I HAVE to have my hand held solitaire game to play with other wise I twirl my hair, move my feet in circles, make ticking noises with my mouth, anything to just be moving in some way. At the store in checkout lines I tap my fingers, sort and organize the items in the basket and make those ticking noises.

Boy I'm just a real mess! !
  6. batgirl

batgirl New Member

I voted yes to constantly fidgeting, but this is because of my autism and isn't directly related to my PTSD. In autistics, it's called "stimming". It's actually a useful activity because it helps to calm me down if I am overstimulated. I don't know if it's true of those with PTSD too, but with autistics, stimming helps our brains process sensory information. Tapping my toes or flicking my fingers is actually a good thing for me in that respect. I get really freaked out if I'm not allowed to move. I could have a total meltdown if someone were to try to prevent me from moving.
    franciemarnie likes this.
  7. weldergirl

weldergirl New Member

I fidget too. I wrap the sleeves of my hoodie around and around until they're so tight around my arms. It makes me feel safe. What I ended up doing to stop it was I bought two tensor bandages and wrapped them around my arms under my hoodie so no one can see. It's actually lowering the number of panic attacks I've been having.
  8. nor

nor New Member

Constantly-swinging my leg back and forth, wringing my hands, used to pull at my ear until someone was rude with a remark about it-so I stopped that one. Constantly rubbing my feet back and forth on each other (with legs crossed, of course). Even as I go to sleep at night, I need to rub my feet together to calm me down.

The wringing of the hands is getting more noticeable, so I have been putting my hands into my opposite sleeves when talking with people-like I am cold. The swinging of the leg is done in the dark (movies), or under a table-so it isn't as noticeable.....yet.
  9. Cindy

Cindy New Member

I drive my family nuts

I am constantly jiggling my leg up and down on its toe. It's the knee bounce.

They get the most aggravated by it at the table, Sometimes things do vibrate or slide around.

They also get visually annoyed when I am sitting in the living room.

My family and therapist use it as a barometer of my anxiety.

My therapist will often notice the speed of the bounce in order to determine if this is going to be a crammed full session or relaxed.

I can't help it - but atleast it doesn't hurt me or anyone else.
  10. nic

nic New Member

I fidget when I am at the doctor's or therapist's office. Other than that, not too much...at least I think.
  11. nic

nic New Member

From Cindy:
    "I am constantly jiggling my leg up and down on its toe. It's the knee bounce."

I also do this, but for me it isn't the same thing as fidgetting because I can't help it. I try to shake out my leg, but it's like it has a mind of its own!
  12. nightowl52

nightowl52 New Member

I too move all the time. Batgirl, good information to know. Our friends have a autistic child and & anything that makes her feel comfortable around us is good to know. Thanks
  13. harrywgtn

harrywgtn New Member

I fidget non stop , counciler says that she thinks i have not been relaxed since i was 10 years old. It annoys my work mates and family , but i have to other wise it builds up inside me and my mind races.
  14. Mina

Mina VIP Member Premium Member

I was just thinking about fidgeting, as my boss remarked on it recently. I do fidget all the time, and have for years...long before the PTSD. In grade school, it was playing with pencil erasers - the kind you stick on the top of the pencil when the original eraser is gone. Through high school, college, and early career, it was fidgeting with a necklace charm I wore every day. Now, at work, I'm always wearing one of those rubber fingertips (I flip through so many papers each day...). After a few weeks, I have to get a new one because it's so stretched out and the nubby things are all gone because I've rubbed them off. If I don't have an object to fidget with, I'll pick around my fingernails, although I am working on breaking that habit (the rubber fingertips are a great substitute).
  15. Junebug

Junebug VIP Member

I fidget a lot- and worse yet, I think I actually fidget more than I think I fidget!
    Serene likes this.
  16. Mary Elynne

Mary Elynne New Member

I am a knee bouncer also... constantly.... I also have been diagnosed with restless syndrome.... it keeps me up at night. I have meds to help me sleep through it but I still have to rub my feet together to be able to fall asleep.
  17. Marlene

Marlene VIP Member Premium Member

When I'm at work I take my fidgiting and try to incorporate it into 'appropriate' moves. I fold and unfold my hands, cross and uncross my legs, etc. When others are around I tend to 'strap' myself down and keep it to a minimum. At home...all bets are off and I can be as twitchy and fridgity as I want.

This has always been just part of me.

Lisa
  18. sallysellsseashells

sallysellsseashells New Member

I fidget a lot. I used to have naturally gidget hair, and my mum would call me "fidget gidget". I don't know what gidget hair is from seeing it, but it has been explained to me: it kind of curls out and up all the way around. Mine kind of curls uner on one side, and out on the other side, and it gets tangled at the back. That is when it is all one length. Now I have layers!!!

Anyway, the fidgetting has not stopped, so now I'm just "fidget".

Sometimes I think of it as warming up, because I get cold easily, and sometimes I think of it as exercise. But there are times when I am distressed that I fidget because of this.

I don't think it is an emotion barometer. I think it is an energy barometer. If you feel good and have a lot of energy that's helpful, but tend to fidget when there is nothing to do with the hands. If you feel bad and have a lot of energy, tend to break things (accidentally, from too much fidgetting) or teat paper or forl paper until it tears, or tissues, or tapping.

I play guitar & piano, so I think the fidgeting is guitar/piano practice when I'm not with a guitar, or at a piano. It must improve muscle tone, I have a lot of dexterity, luckily. I stretch them a lot too, to avoid getting cramps.
  19. LovinHuggin

LovinHuggin New Member

Yeah I stim pretty much all the time and often fidget with objects too and I also rock.
  20. freakofnurture

freakofnurture New Member

I play around with my thumbs and index fingers; the intensity changes, but sometimes I get callus on the insides of my upper thumb joint (that i then pick off). I also pick/gnaw at the skin around my finger nails (have both my thumbs skinned to the first joint sometimes, and often scabs around the nails), pick/pull at my lower lip and knead the tip of my nose. When I'm out of the house I mostly carry one of my notebooks and my pencil in my hands, even when I'm not intending to write, so I can press my finger nails around the edges of the book and play with the pen.
  21. Serene

Serene New Member

[quote="batgirl, post: 69143" I could have a total meltdown if someone were to try to prevent me from moving.[/quote]

OMG! Me too. One time I went to a hypnotherapist. He kept telling me to lie still. I tried so hard but I thought I was going to explode! It feels like ants are crawling all over me.

I used to have a smooth stone that I put in my pocket. When I needed to fidget I would put my hand in my pocket and rub it. I did this for months. Then one day I saw myself in a mirror while doing this. It looked like I was playing with myself. I was so embarrassed! I had to go back to rubbing my fingers back and forth. I also rub the deep ridges on my fingernails. The texture is comforting for some strange reason.

I can't believe I am writing these things. Nowhere else could I write stuff like this and have people identify.
  22. jo may

jo may New Member Premium Member

I only fidget when I'm restless and that's normally when in a new situation.
  23. I fidget allll the time! I can't seem to sit still. In class, I'm either shaking my leg, or flexing my thighs, or moving my whole upper body back and forth. Most of the time I don't realize until someone point it out or tells me to stop. Right now I'm laying in bed shaking my foot -_-
  24. jo may

jo may New Member Premium Member

I put I sometimes fidget but I'd have to change that now to constantly, the is no part of the day when I'm not fidgetting. Partly to do with this, but mostly due to my Fibro.
  25. Haha I just got an alert for this thread and just realized that I'm just sitting here moving back and forth...