• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll Do You Get Migraines?

Do you get Migraines?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Misera1013

Confident
We all know the brain is an amazing thing, but I've seen several members on here mention that they get migraines.

Since, my believed onset of PTSD I began having major migraines. Over the past year I have lost over 4 months of work due to migraines. So, I was curious how prevalent they were in out sufferers of PTSD.

I have chronic migraines now lasting from 2-7days now. i've had them since I was 9yrs old. At various times I've been able to control them discovering what are some of the triggers and some medications that have helped along the way. Mine are often triggered by allergies and stress. Having seen a multitude of 'experts' and other doctors throughout the years I am the best expert about my migraines than anyone else. I've discussed these from a psychological point of view, a neurological point of view and having had 3 nasal surgeries which just about ruined my sinus completely.

Experts.... So I have come to this and that is what the last neurologist let me in on which actually just crossed the t's to what I suspected anyway but wanted to know what latest options were for help medically and it was this:

-They don't know what exactly triggers a Migraine
-They can't cure them
-They know they are REAL because they can prove it with brain scans
-It doesn't matter what starts them it's how you deal with them that matters
-They say pain meds don't help but my thought is pain medication helps to relax the body so you are able to sleep because you cannot just let an episode go on and on, however, you must be very careful of rebound pain.
-There is ALWAYS something more that can be done about the pain so seek help for it, if one doctor says they can't do anything else, see someone else, just don't give up

The more I work with my therapist the less pain I have with my Migraines. I am able to ground myself and ease off the stressors that trigger them. Meditation is extremely helpful as well as exercise to keep the muscles and blood flowing since the pain tends to tense my whole body up.

I feel for you and met many people that suffer migraines who also have PTSD. Mine run in my family so is it the chicken or the egg, I have no idea, I just know I have to treat it.

Feel better,
Rain

Thanks Rain, have a killer one today.:sick: For years I thought they were just headaches except they made me sick to my stomach, better in the dark/ quiet/ don't move etc. I wonder if it's stress + back neck joint pain, etc.. (?)

I had my first migraine with aura while expecting my twins when I was 24, before then I remember having 'sick headaches' as a child. After my twins were born they developed into pre menstrual migraine & I was prescribed Paramax to help with the pain & sickness. About 10 yrs ago my migraines changed & became intense headaches at the temple without the aura, I was prescribed Almagram, it work really well & in a few hours I would be over it.

Then PTSD kicked in! I'd gone through a very messy separation & divorce & my migraine increased in frequency eventually ending up with around 5 a week.

To help with ptsd symptoms i was prescribed Citalopram but then told that I couldn't take both meds because of serotonin syndrome. My gp suggested I try to wean myself of the Almagram as she was concerned that by now I was over medicating & could have rebound headaches. It took a month to come of them by which time I'd started seeing a psychologist, it was a very long month & I was signed off work. I also had a gum shield made to stop me clenching my teeth at night, that has been a great help as I no longer wake with jaw pain & a headache. Since then I still have migraine occasionally but can now ease the pain by taking paracetamol & ibuprofen together & meditating/relaxing.
I am sure now that my migraine were the result of anxiety, stress & sleep deprivation.

<edited by Nicolette: capitalization of the word 'I'>

I had a 3-4 day migraine a couple weekends ago. I didn't really associate it with ptsd, but wow, now I have realised why I have had them and headaches all my life. I am on a huge learning curve here.

<edited by Nicolette: capitalization of the word 'I'>

I got my first migraine attack when I was 9...same time I guess my PTSD really kicked in and started to control my life...Now when I have some sort of control over my PTSD the attacks don't come as often as they used to. But it could be do to so many things I have changed to try to avoid migraine. But well now when I think about it it might be related to the PTSD.

My doctor once said i had to give up smoking to really find out the cause of my migraines. Well i dont smoke, or drink anymore and am not on the pill(another trigger). I know i trigger some of my headaches off with my bruxism (clenching jaw). which of course is another ptsd symptom. I would have been 10-13 when i got my first migraines, at a time when my abuse would have been truely set in and affecting me the most.

Last year I got these intensely painful headaches at night and I had to go to the hospital to get them to stop and even then the pain meds they gave didn't really do much. My doctor said that it was a mixture of two things: cluster headaches and migraines. Weird thing is that they happened for like 4-5 months last year before I was diagnosed with ptsd and after the ptsd diagnosis I haven't had one.

Mine started in late dec 2010 and I still get them alot and i feel like just screaming but normally cry and fall asleep. When I do get them I am offen sick with them is this normal?

Yeah, yours sound like migraines. My friend has them, for her its lights that make her throw up. Cluster headaches are similar but they are more painful and only affect about 1% of the population.

Yeah, yours sound like migraines. My friend has them, for her its lights that make her throw up. Cluster headaches are similar but they are more painful and only affect about 1% of the population.

Right thanks Lee. I hate it when it starts it starts in my lower neck/back of head and than spreads upwards very slowly but very painfully. Once it hits the middle of my head it spreads all over my head. I turn off the lights, close the curtains put my hoodie over my head so it's as dark as I can make it. Sometimes i just cry myself to sleep others i have to be sick. And i've also noticed that's when my ex's voice is at it's loudest. I really feel so ill when it comes on and it's so painful words can't do it justice. It's like i'm actually blinded by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back