1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do You Get Sick Often?

Discussion in 'PTSD Polls' started by kers, Sep 16, 2007.

?

Do you get sick often?

1. I don't get sick any more often than other people.

42 vote(s)
    34.1%
  2. I get sick a little more often than other people.

23 vote(s)
    18.7%
  3. I am sick much more often than other people.

58 vote(s)
    47.2%
  1. kers

kers VIP Member

I find that I am sick quite frequently--colds and chest infections, mostly. Every few weeks I come down with something and spend a week or more recovering. I have read that the hypervigilance that comes with PTSD can also lead to a weakened immune system. I wonder whether anyone else has this problem.
    KatB likes this.
  2. anthony

anthony MyPTSD Admin Staff Member Premium Member

I found I did used to be that way when my PTSD was quite uncontrolled, though nowadays I am not sick typically... even less that most I could say.
    Anna likes this.
  3. nie

nie Wishing for wings to fly. Premium Member

I do not think that I am sick more than others. However, I do get headaches quite frequently.
    KatB likes this.
  4. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt!

I voted I am much more sick than others. Between the IB issues, lack of being able to eat, migraines, muscle pain and back pain.. pfft..

I look forward to the day I can kick it down a few notches.

bec
  5. nor

nor New Member

Yes, I have always been the "sickly one" of the family. Either with minor colds or serious unexplained bleeding for a year. Once our son came along, the major illnesses lessened up, but I still find myself getting extremely ill with flus (even though I get a flu shot), and stomache disorders. Headaches/Migraines are a commonstance. I have had all kinds of tests in the past for my comprimised immune system, but nothing comes up. After reading about ptsd, it looks like I may finally be onto something.

nor
  6. Awakening

Awakening New Member Premium Member

I never used to get sick or have pain but now the last 12 months have been the worst. Mainly stomach upsets or head/neck pain.
    KatB likes this.
  7. batgirl

batgirl New Member

I voted yes. I mean obviously because I have cancer, and heart and lung problems too, I am going to be much sicker than most just by definition. But I wasn't sick at all before the trauma, I was very healthy. So I can't help feeling they are at least indirectly related.
  8. Marlene

Marlene VIP Member Premium Member

I voted I don't get sick more than others. Which is a little funny considering I've been down with the flu for the past three days (today's recovery day). But I haven't had the flu in three years. Last year when almost everyone in my office had a nasty head cold that was going around, I didn't get it.

Now I will say that when my symptoms kick up, I have a lot of fatigue, tiredness, etc. and I call that being ill. Difference I can push through and keep going through most symptoms. Stubborness or I'm just too damn dumb to stop and lie down? I don't know which. When I'm sick...I'm going no where but to bed.

Lisa
  9. 2quilt

2quilt New Member

I'm always sick because I am physically disabled with multiple illnesses, a rare disease which causes other symptoms, and PTSD and depression. Several of my separate illnesses cause chronic pain, which feeds the depression and PTSD, which cycles the pain. I am just a joy.
    I can't figure out how to post to the poll.
    KatB likes this.
  10. hodge

hodge New Member

I wasn't sure whether to vote for a little more often or much more often, so I didn't vote. But I do get sick rather often. I've been more or less like this all my life, even though I generally eat healthily and exercise. I've been borderline type I diabetic all my life, which means an already weakened immune system. I usually catch most anything going around. But the ptsd has made it worse, because of the physical symptoms it creates - nausea, fatigue, headaches. Maybe I'm in denial about how often I get sick. Better go vote "much more often" :)
    KatB likes this.
  11. Lisa

Lisa New Member

plenty of stress related illness here unfortunately...IBS, migraine, tinnitus, nausea, infections, colds and so on.
  12. Somber_Resplendence

Somber_Resplendence New Member

To be fair, I've always been fairly sick frequently...but I believe that since the PTSD kicked in, my immune system is much weaker, and I've even been hospitalized and had to have surgery for a medical issue I directly attribute to the trauma...I also have severe and chronic pain that I attribute to the Trauma...
  13. txmomof3

txmomof3 New Member

Up until 2002, I would have answered no more frequently than others. However, during the past 5 years I have been sick much more often than anyone my age should be. I have had my tonsils removed, rheumatic fever, a lung abcess, meningitis, 2 ankle surgeries, a neck abcess, multiple smaller illnesses, and have a chronic pain disorder related to my ankle surgeries. At my age, you should not be on your 2nd chart at your pain management doc and your 3rd chart at your PCP you have seen since 2001.

They are adding onto the hospital I frequent...I am thinking of asking for my own wing as it is already paid for :)
  14. mightsurvive

mightsurvive New Member

I didnt answer this poll because i would actually say that i get sick LESS than most people. There are two reasons for this.

Firstly I am a teacher and have become immune to the colds etc that go around due to having been exposed to more of them.

Secondly, I have a type of eczema that means i have a high count of white blood cells which help to fight off infectioons etc.
  15. morgan

morgan New Member

I don't get colds or flu, (I usually get a flu shot every year) but I do get headaches and fatigue quite often. I believe it's because of my PTSD.
  16. upstream

upstream New Member

When I was a child I got sick more than anyone I knew... including some strange rash that usually only appears in older people and even then only rarely. These days not so much, so I voted no.
  17. northernpunch

northernpunch New Member

I liked what 2quilt had to say, and I would add that I too am such a joy, one-leg, shattered pelvis, plastic tubes for an aeorta, badly thawed brain. But do I suffer other ailments. I liked what Anthony said, because he spoke about getting past it. For me the primary trauma at present occurred four years ago. I tend to sit still for periods, get psychologically wonky, and get sick physically, then I begin to move around and do things and eat proper, and make a bit of a recovery. But none of this is easy, and I cannot see it getting easier. I am glad I have stopped bursting into tears in public places, though, I think that is progress.
  18. nic

nic New Member

I have some physical issues due to the PTSD. I get very bad headaches, nausea, and I have IBS. Oh, and I also break out into HUGE hives if I have continuous panic for a few days. I do wonder, though, if some of the symptoms could be due to medications and med changes.
  19. nightowl52

nightowl52 New Member

I have always been healthy before ptsd. During my first 2 years I had more illnesses from the perscription medications. I had so many urinary infections that I even have been antibiotic resistive . I had sinus infections too & when I went to settlement court I had painful boils! I had a mamogram, which is very stressful to wait for the results, last year and that was the last time I had a boil/ hives type of thing. I sleep maybe 3 hours & after the jury duty notice came, I found myself throwing up in my sleep. I know it's from stress
  20. dlross

dlross New Member

I seem to have the immunue system of an ox. Even when everyone around me has a cold, I seldom get one. And otherwise I am also blessed with good health. Which is good, since I consider anything less to be a betrayal of me by my body!
  21. Cindy

Cindy New Member

I answered I don't get sick often. I seperated the illnesses due to stress from the PTSD and actually I am pretty healthy - only allergies with an occasional sinus infection. Back injury followed by surgery.

But, stress induced migraines, IBS, ulcers, eating disorder, etc....

I also think I tend to ignore my body and symptoms frequently. I have been told by doctors time and time again, "you have a high pain tolerance" and that I should have come in earlier for treatment.

Does anyone else ignore their bodies or health?
  22. Lucky Laser

Lucky Laser New Member

As a kid I got strep throat a lot but having my tonsils out fixed that. Now I get a cold once or twice a year (usually after exams when my stress levels are at their highest). I'm surprised I'm not sick more often considering I spend so much time in the hospital but then again perhaps that exposure to lots of things is what keeps my immune system strong.
  23. Grama-Herc

Grama-Herc VIP Member

I've been sick my entire life with one thing or another. The main issue is the stress we minds are under due to the PTSD.

It "is" a proven fact that stress weakens the immune system, therefore, we are sicker than the general population. It is not the PTSD that makes us sick, it is the stress caused by the PTSD that weakens our immune system that makes us sick.

I noticed common ailments that everyone posting here seem to have in common.
    IBS and migraines seem to top the list. JMHO
  24. Firenze

Firenze New Member

I have always been sick more often than other people and I think it is directly related to the trauma. While I was in an abusive relationship, I was sick constantly, for months, had glandular fever, chronic fatigue, other viruses, flu, colds. I developed hypothyroidism which was also caused by my immune system. Generally sickness is very familiar.
  25. Seychelle

Seychelle New Member

My perception is that I have a much lower pain threshold than most, and pain tends to be a trigger for me and I get really distressed by it. That said, I do tend to just ignore low-grade pain or other symptoms.

I get colds and flus at about the same rate as my work colleagues, but I tend to have a lot more time off work than everyone else (except for another colleague who's also dealing with past trauma). About a year ago, I was diagnosed with a low-grade chronic inflammatory disease. I'd always assumed it was just IBS, but turns out it's not.

I have a tendency to somatise a lot of the emotional pain. I kept it buried in my twenties that way and I lost most of my twenties to not facing up to the trauma. I still have occasional tendencies with that, which is one of the reasons why I tend to ignore illness as much as possible. My doctor and I often have trouble working out what's real illness we need to deal with and what's emotional stuff I need to work on. Dizziness, headaches, fatigue and generalised pain are typical somatisation symptoms for me - but they overlap with so many physical illnesses (eg colds and flus) that it gets confusing at times.