1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do You Have a Difficult Time Expressing Yourself?

Discussion in 'PTSD Polls' started by Healing Survivor, Sep 25, 2009.

?

Do You Have Difficulty Expressing Yourself?

1. Yes

93 vote(s)
    70.5%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    3.0%
  3. Sometimes

35 vote(s)
    26.5%
  1. Healing Survivor

Healing Survivor New Member

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I didn't see it when I looked. This is an issue I've been struggling with a lot and am not sure if it's a PTSD symptom or not. In any case, I'm just curious about how many of us to have this problem.

Sometimes I feel like I have a lot to say or a lot of emotion to release, but I don't know how. Actually, it's more than that--I feel like I CAN'T.

Can anyone identify with this? Thanks for taking this poll and for your response/suggestions.
  2. Cate

Cate New Member

Yes, I have a very difficult time expressing myself.

When I try to express emotions and feelings I begin to hyperventilate. I also experience symptoms such as trembling, stuttering, etc. Usually the words that come out of my mouth are the wrong ones and everyone looks at me like I'm crazy.

Oh well. At least I'm not boring.

Cate
    Emilie, Pippi, BigBear and 1 other person like this.
  3. Junebug

Junebug VIP Member

OMG- beyond belief.

-It would take me a year, what I can get across instantaneously with a bear hug.

Sometimes I think I should give up talking, altogether.
    :)
    Pippi, Srain, BigBear and 1 other person like this.
  4. She Cat

She Cat VIP Member

Not with words, but with showing feelings, especially love......I don't know how to express myself when it comes to showing love....
  5. LoveWins

LoveWins New Member

I certainly struggle a lot more than I used to. I am reassured that I can still mostly explain myself ok, but to me it feels like I'm really not able to express myself half as clearly as I would like and know I would have been able to before
  6. sidekick

sidekick New Member

I do a lot of letter writing to people, but usually only after something has been building for a long time. It is something I have been working on over the years. It causes exteme anxiety to have to express something verbally if it is anything to do with my feelings or that may not make another person happy.
    Pippi and Healing Survivor like this.
  7. Medic72

Medic72 VIP Member

I really hate when my counsellor asks me how something makes me feel...if I could put it into words there wouldn't be so much of a problem would there? Half of the time how do you describe the intensity of the terror besides ascribing a number to it? What about 'pre-terror' - those physical indicators that prove you're getting severely afraid? She wants me to use words and I just can't find them. Scared and anxious sometimes just don't cut it.
    spursfan80 and J.C. like this.
  8. Robin

Robin New Member

Just like medic72, I can't get the words out at all.

T also asks me about how something makes/made me feel and it's like a slamlock door. Not a word! Can't do it. Sometimes the words are right there and I can mill over them a million times but can't get the words out. Sometimes my mind goes completely blank (like I can hardly remember the question) and leaves me in an internal panic (that I hope is not visible to the outside world).
  9. tah

tah New Member

Yes this is me all the way. I think I said before I can rehearse in my mind and know exactly what I want to say, but it never quite goes the way I want.

Its almost like I will say over in my mind while the other person is asking me, but I can't get the words out.

The worst is when my husband asks me to tell him examples of when and how when I am upset about things and I just can't verbalize it so I get so angry and I just blow up.

Then later like a couple days or so I will tell him and he looks at me like "why are you telling me this now? Why can't you let it go?" Well because it takes me awhile to get the courage up to get what I want to say out!
    Pippi, J.C. and Healing Survivor like this.
  10. tryintobreathe

tryintobreathe New Member

Sometimes it's like my mouth is frozen and I just can NOT say words. Although, I do quite well at expressing anger and frustration physically!

Jen
  11. godhelpusoneandall

godhelpusoneandall New Member

Can you say "I love you". My vet just can't seem to get those words out of his mouth. Kat
  12. skyp56

skyp56 New Member

YES! YES!! YES!!!
    I get flustered and embarrassed, and can't describe strong feelings of the moment. And recently, my brain freezes up, and I start to stammer and stutter, and maybe cry in frustration. I usually end up saying "I don't even KNOW how I feel!" I think I sound insane to others.
    jewel and Healing Survivor like this.
  13. No-Twitch-Tabitha

No-Twitch-Tabitha New Member

Yes - verbally. I stumble over my words, or mumble, or go completely blank in the middle of a sentence.

I express myself much better in writing.
    angel2write and jewel like this.
  14. Solara

Solara VIP Member

Sometimes I have problems expressing myself.

Sometimes the words simply do not come.

Sometimes all I can do is scream.
    jewel likes this.
  15. goingonhope

goingonhope Member Premium Member

I chose sometimes.
  16. Marie E.

Marie E. VIP Member

I have a huge problem concentrating as I have this sorry excuse of PTSD to deal with. Everyday though, I am learning and growing.
  17. The Albatross

The Albatross A product of decisions rather than circumstances Premium Member

It's a lot better now than it used to be. I actually tested normal last year for ADD/ADHD, after a year and a half of "free flow consciousness" therapy. My therapist taught me how to slow down my thoughts enough to put them into words. It worked, but I am better in the mornings when I am fresh... later in the day or when I am over tired it is more difficult.
    Srain, J.C. and Marie E. like this.
  18. Brontie

Brontie New Member

Yes I do. I often end up in tears trying to talk to psych-doc. Writing things down helps a lot. But sometimes even that can be difficult. It depends on how serious I’m trying to be. Everyday gabbing, I can talk till the cows come home. But ask me some serious questions about myself and I get this huge lump in my throat.
    Srain, angel2write and Marie E. like this.
  19. Grace11

Grace11 New Member

At times, I do have this problem, but it is slowly getting better. For a few months, I could not express my thoughts in any concrete or meaningful way, rambled a lot, and did not make a point. That made me so frustrated, so I became a bit of a recluse. Which didn't help, either. I'm getting a lot better, but it's something I am constantly aware of.
    Marie E. likes this.
  20. J.C.

J.C. New Member

I have a hard time expressing my self with certain people. This was not the case before PTSD.

I am highly challenged when trying to write especially the past few days on this site. I notice even off the subject of PTSD or the backstory to it...in chat, on fb, in email, in message...My is not fully functioning. I did not have this issue before PTSD.

During therapy and other times my mind would go blank and my brain would completely shut down. There was no in, there was no out. I was going to quantify all this but my brain shut down so...ok time to go do something else.
  21. angel2write

angel2write Mad Scribbler & I.C.P. Premium Member

I write. I've written all my life to try and communicate the things I can't say.

When I was a kid I used to dream I didn't even have a mouth. Now sometimes I wonder if I ought to give up spoken communication altogether; it's so hard for me to say what I mean that I almost always mess it up and say something stupid. Then I'm too choked up to try and explain, so I just have to leave the misunderstanding hanging there. This is the biggest challenge I have forming relationships.
    KrazyKat, Philippa and Sqweak like this.
  22. Sqweak

Sqweak New Member

I have a really difficult time communicating. It's hard for me to speak and have the words truly convey what i'm feeling. I'm a better writer when it comes to communicating what I have to say.
    KrazyKat and angel2write like this.
  23. Philippa

Philippa VIP Member

I'm a lot better than I used to be as well. I didn't talk...at all...for nearly 3 years. For the same reasons as some have given here...I felt that everything that came out of my mouth sounded stupid and got jumbled, plus I had trouble projecting my voice so I was one of those people others were constantly saying "huh?" or "What?" to and furrowing their brows at. I then trained myself to speak louder so they could hear, and had people then tell me I was speaking too loud, and one woman I lived with actually ignored me for 2 whole months, saying the reason was that my voice was too loud...but I don't think it actually was too loud...she just had issues without hyper sensitivity. Other people didn't think I sounded too loud, just her...and my ex as well, who was also highly sensitive. So, that kinda mixed me up for a while, as you can imagine...
    Srain likes this.
  24. Sethe

Sethe VIP Member

I have my moments. Sometimes I am very descriptive, poetic at times (when I can pinpoint emotions-I like to use analogies)... and then there are those days when I feel like a babbling idiot.

I agree with some of the posts on emotional expression. Sometimes I am lost. I cannot read others and cannot express the intensity of what I feel. I can also panic and the feelings become so overwhelming that I get lost.
    angel2write likes this.
  25. intothelight

intothelight Totally Quackers Duck Staff Member Premium Member

There are times I am so far inside myself that I cannot express anything outwardly.
    KrazyKat likes this.