• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll Do You Have a Difficult Time Expressing Yourself?

Do You Have Difficulty Expressing Yourself?

• Yes

Votes: 101 71.1%
  • No

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 37 26.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes I have problems expressing myself.

Sometimes the words simply do not come.

Sometimes all I can do is scream.

It's a lot better now than it used to be. I actually tested normal last year for ADD/ADHD, after a year and a half of "free flow consciousness" therapy. My therapist taught me how to slow down my thoughts enough to put them into words. It worked, but I am better in the mornings when I am fresh... later in the day or when I am over tired it is more difficult.

Yes I do. I often end up in tears trying to talk to psych-doc. Writing things down helps a lot. But sometimes even that can be difficult. It depends on how serious I’m trying to be. Everyday gabbing, I can talk till the cows come home. But ask me some serious questions about myself and I get this huge lump in my throat.

At times, I do have this problem, but it is slowly getting better. For a few months, I could not express my thoughts in any concrete or meaningful way, rambled a lot, and did not make a point. That made me so frustrated, so I became a bit of a recluse. Which didn't help, either. I'm getting a lot better, but it's something I am constantly aware of.

I have a hard time expressing my self with certain people. This was not the case before PTSD.

I am highly challenged when trying to write especially the past few days on this site. I notice even off the subject of PTSD or the backstory to it...in chat, on fb, in email, in message...My is not fully functioning. I did not have this issue before PTSD.

During therapy and other times my mind would go blank and my brain would completely shut down. There was no in, there was no out. I was going to quantify all this but my brain shut down so...ok time to go do something else.

I write. I've written all my life to try and communicate the things I can't say.

When I was a kid I used to dream I didn't even have a mouth. Now sometimes I wonder if I ought to give up spoken communication altogether; it's so hard for me to say what I mean that I almost always mess it up and say something stupid. Then I'm too choked up to try and explain, so I just have to leave the misunderstanding hanging there. This is the biggest challenge I have forming relationships.

I have a really difficult time communicating. It's hard for me to speak and have the words truly convey what i'm feeling. I'm a better writer when it comes to communicating what I have to say.

I'm a lot better than I used to be as well. I didn't talk...at all...for nearly 3 years. For the same reasons as some have given here...I felt that everything that came out of my mouth sounded stupid and got jumbled, plus I had trouble projecting my voice so I was one of those people others were constantly saying "huh?" or "What?" to and furrowing their brows at. I then trained myself to speak louder so they could hear, and had people then tell me I was speaking too loud, and one woman I lived with actually ignored me for 2 whole months, saying the reason was that my voice was too loud...but I don't think it actually was too loud...she just had issues without hyper sensitivity. Other people didn't think I sounded too loud, just her...and my ex as well, who was also highly sensitive. So, that kinda mixed me up for a while, as you can imagine...

I have my moments. Sometimes I am very descriptive, poetic at times (when I can pinpoint emotions-I like to use analogies)... and then there are those days when I feel like a babbling idiot.

I agree with some of the posts on emotional expression. Sometimes I am lost. I cannot read others and cannot express the intensity of what I feel. I can also panic and the feelings become so overwhelming that I get lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back