• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll Do You Have Adhd, And Did You Have Npd Parents?

Please indicate which one of the following applies to you:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pietro

MyPTSD Pro
‘91 Girl and I have collaborated on putting together the above poll, to examine the following:
- The correlation between ADD/ADHD among those with PTSD, and having family-of-origin caregivers with Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD -- see below for a description)
- The correlation between ADD/ADHD and dissociation

In addition to answering the poll, it would also be helpful if you created a post in this thread to answer the following questions:

1) At what age did your trauma begin?
2) At what age were you diagnosed with ADD/ADHD?
3) How would you rate your average level of dissociation, on a scale from 1 to 10, with 1 being mild day-dreaming and 10 being Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID) -- previously called Multiple Personality Disorder (MPD)?
4) Intuitively, how do you feel about the possibility that ADHD might be caused by having NPD caregivers -- at least in part?

Hoping to see some interesting results. Thanks for participating!

++++++++++++++++++
Description of NPD:

When people think of Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD), they often think of an overconfident jerk. While this can be an symptom, it is not an indicator of NPD, nor is it required for an NPD diagnosis.

NPD is a personality disorder of self-esteem. People with NPD have painfully low self-esteem, making them do things and act in ways to hide this. Their self-esteem is so low that they cannot bear to acknowledge or admit it, and instead spend their time convincing themselves and others that they are "a cut above the rest". They look down on others' opinions, knowledge, looks, and other qualities, especially if the NPD disagrees or feels threatened by them. NPDs are constantly on the lookout for new victims whom they woo and flatter into acceptance, then ditch as soon as the person fails to live up to their expectations. The NPD then turns on them and makes them "all bad" to reduce the threat they pose to the NPD's internal world.

There are two kinds of NPD. The first is an overt NPD and the second is a covert NPD. Overt NPDs are the stereotypical jerk, walking around with the nice suit, fancy car, and arrogant attitude. They can often seem to be jerks from the outside, but for those they are currently wooing and impressing, they often seem like dream men and women. The covert NPD is more subtle. They often walk with an air about them of knowing more or knowing better. They can calmly and quietly convince you that you are stupid and worthless and you will go right along with them because they seem so right. They can be sweet as long as life is played on their terms, but as soon as disagreements come up, you are given the cold shoulder and booted out of the club. They often know the right answers and act like they are "bending down" to help those poor, defenseless, helpless people they are surrounded by.

Both types show a blatant disregard for the personhood of others, and see people as objects to get what they think they need. They do not respect others' boundaries, but the second they are challenged, even gently, they become either cold or rage-filled. NPDs are some of the most challenging people to lead or follow because of their unrealistic expectations and superiority.

Since this is in part my idea, I'll start :)

Birth

5th grade, so about 9?

3) How would you rate your average level of dissociation, on a scale from 1 to 10, with 1 being mild day-dreaming and 10 being Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID) -- previously called Multiple Personality Disorder (MPD)?

4) Intuitively, how do you feel about the possibility that ADHD might be caused by having NPD caregivers -- at least in part?
I am choosing not to answer this here to make sure I don't skew results :)

My turn:

Birth

39, but it has affected me all of my life.

Same as '91 Girl -- don't want to poison the pot!

'91 Girl and Pietro,

Were your parents actually diagnosed has having Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) or are you making a guess that they did?

The description in the original post about NPD sounds like you are making a guess and asking others to make a guess based on the information you provided. In my view there would be no reason to provide that information unless asking people to make that guess because I don't see a description of ADHD or DID along with it.

Clarification?

Since most people with NPD do not agree to any kind of treatment or diagnosis, many of them aren't identified. I know my father fit the description to a T, and was never diagnosed. So in regards to NPD, we are asking for a best guess from people. Although we would like you to be definitely diagnosed with ADD/ADHD. I know this isn't completely scientific, but we were curious as to the results.

I had anxiety as a result of an NPD mother but not diagnosed with ADHD and I spent plenty of time in therapists offices to be diagnosed... In fact they would never give me medication for ADHD because with my anxiety it would "wire me for sound" as the doctor said... My condition makes me react to drugs much differently than others. A lot of drugs can rev me up so I avoid them.

@LhasaLover, thanks for your comments! Stimulants can definitely drive-up anxiety; strangely, in some, it lowers it because it also improves mood. It's all a big soup -- all the right ingredients need to be there, in the right amounts. :)

LhasaLover, I don't take ADHD meds despite being diagnosed because it would make my anxiety go through the roof. And I'm already very anxious as it is.

Hi '91 Girl!

I never have been diagnosed with ADHD... while there are always things I work on, once I get focused I tend to be goal oriented. For me, the struggle comes when I am re-traumatized. I've been learning a lot of that has been going around with me. =(

Is it me or is there more NPD now? It used to be 1% of the population. Mostly in men. There also are other personality diagnosis that are very similar.

I think it's possible and, also, we probably have better diagnosing now, especially since more people now seek mental health care, which used to be a big stigma.

I think that, as western society becomes more anti-social and addicted to gadgets and social media, the number of those with NPD will continue to increase and accelerate. Hard to bond with a child when you're addicted to Facebook, and can't stop looking at it while your baby is crying (this goes for men and women, by the way ;) ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back