1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Do You Have Asthma?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by kers, Nov 23, 2007.

Do You Have Asthma?

1. Yes, I have asthma.

63 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. No, I don't have asthma.

25 vote(s)
    28.4%
  1. kers

kers I'm a VIP

Evie put up a news article that indicated there may be a link between suffering from PTSD and asthma: [DLMURL="http://www.ptsdforum.org/thread6111.html"]Asthma Linked to PTSD[/DLMURL]

I was very intrigued, as I have asthma and it was at its worst during the years of my abuse. It is still a chronic problem for me. I'm curious how many other asthmatics are here.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. txmomof3

txmomof3 Active Member

I think they are connected. I have always had asthma (mainly exercise induced)...but it was/is significantly worse during periods of abuse/high stress.

Viosinger likes this.
  4. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

I have asthma obviously (I'm Evie in case anyone doesn't know!). I did always think though the asthma was my fault indirectly because I got it after having pneumonia and refusing to go to the doctor, so I have permanent scare tissue on my lungs. But that news article I found was really interesting, I'm sure having PTSD does not help my asthma to improve. And I have it very severely.

5. She Cat

She Cat I'm a VIP Premium Member Sponsor $100+

I have asthma also. But figured it was due to smoking for 40 yrs. I now have C.O.P.D.

6. grace5555

grace5555 Well-Known Member

Yep - severe asthma here...the more trauma the worse it got. And of course it was connected to trauma so flashbacks set it off and asthma attacks set off flashbacks. Lovely cycle of life.

7. Lisa

Lisa Well-Known Member

I have asthma... but I blame the smoking, though I had it as a child before that. I don't get many asthma attacks thankfully though.

8. reallydown

reallydown I'm a VIP

I can't answer this one yet as I'd have to check with my doctor...I didn't use to have it. However, lately, I am very sensitive to strong smells, especially perfumes, cigarette smoke and I also have fits of coughing after exercise...none of which happened before...

9. Awakening

Awakening Well-Known Member

Oh my god apparently i already voted.
    no i don't have asthma, although i've been told i'm asthma prone - WTH does that mean?
    Occassionally i have a puffer after a virus.

10. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

Asthma prone means your lungs are sensitive to irritants. Which is why you need a puffer when you're sick. It also means it's likely you may develop asthma in the future, so you should be really careful whenever you get chest colds.

11. mightsurvive

mightsurvive Active Member

This is a hard one for me to answer so I haven't done the poll but thought I would let you know in writing. My doctor has diagnosed me as having asthma although extremely mildy. Its so mild that i dont renew my inhaler or carry one around. I get it mainly (when the fields are being cut?) in Summer and normally its worse at night. Haven't had an attack in a few years though so I'm not sure I still have it. There may possibly be a connection between asthma and my trauma for me with it being at night and in the summer because that is when my trauma happened but I'm really not sure. Hadn't really thought about any connection until I read your post.

12. reallydown

reallydown I'm a VIP

I just voted "yes" as I found out today that I do have it...Luckily, it's mild.

13. upstream

upstream Well-Known Member

I have mild asthma