1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Do You Have Family Members With PTSD?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by batgirl, Apr 6, 2007.

Do You Have Family Members With PTSD?

1. yes

35 vote(s)
    76.1%
  2. no

11 vote(s)
    23.9%
  1. batgirl

batgirl I'm a VIP

I used to think I was the only one in my family with PTSD, but after learning more about it, it's quite obvious my father had it from his military experiences. In fact, he "gave" PTSD to me. My uncle also strongly suspects my granddad had it from being tortured when he was a POW in Korea. So, I am the third generation who has it... weird. Anyways I thought it would be interesting to see how many others have family members with PTSD, living or dead. Oh and I guess I should say, I didn't intend this poll for family members on here, but for people who have PTSD already. Hope that's not too confusing.

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Andre

Andre Active Member

In my immediate family there are several who are in denial, from accident and from war experiences. In my extended family there are a few others I have heard about but I do not know them personally.

4. becvan

becvan Queen of the Blunt! Premium Member

Yep, my son and I both have it.

bec

5. anthony

anthony Renovation Aficionado Founder

Had to say yes, as my brother in law has it... ex navy.

6. Marlene

Marlene I'm a VIP Premium Member

Don't know. I found out as an adult that my sister (she was my half sister) was molsted and raped repeatedly by her step-brother, emotionally and verbally abused by her step-mother for years.

Looking back, I see a lot of symptoms, remember her friends telling me things that my sister had said and done, etc. But there was so much going on emotionally and physically with her disease, her many, many meds, her coming out of the closet...there's just no way to know.

My mother and I have had many talks about this subject since my diagnosis.

7. nor

nor Well-Known Member

I voted yes. My older sister was also sexually abused by our family member. She was diagnosed as severely OCD, and it was attempted to also diagnose her as bipolar II-which she refused to accept.

Looking at her, and experiencing everything in similar ways (and having received the correct PTSD diagnosis myself), I would definitely have to say that she too suffers from it.

nor

8. rt1967

rt1967 Active Member

yes i think my Dad probably has ptsd also my brother has PTSD diagnosis ,possibly others too.

9. Marine0311

Marine0311 Active Member

Dad has it from Combat also, we didn't live together because of his drinking.

10. indigo~in~0z

indigo~in~0z Member

my mother would have to have it for sure... tho she would never know or acknowledge