• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll Do You Have New, Unexpected Phobias With PTSD?

Do You Have New, Unexpected Phobias With PTSD?

• Yes - I have developed a phobia not obviously linked to trauma

Votes: 78 72.2%
  • No - But preexisting phobias are worsened

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • No - I have never had any phobias/they have stayed the same

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 11 10.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have developed new phobias, but am suspishious that it might be related to the trama... and that I just can't remember how or why it is linked

I can't remember so much, I don't even know if it is related or not!

I have had a legitimate phobia of spiders and stinging insects for decades so I know what a real phobia is. Now I have a phobia of opening doors and of being/going outside as well as crowded places.

About a year ago, I developed a phobia about driving on the freeway. I had bad anxiety with the driving. Recently I have been having some success driving on the freeway without the anxiety.

I have developed an intense fear of driving, and other people driving after I developed PTSD. I never had an issue before, but now, I feel like Im going to die every time I get in my car. I can't stop driving, because I go to school and I work. I don't want to stop my life because of this stupid phobia, but It's just getting worse. I have never had a phobia ever before PTSD.

Bridges, cliffs- heights. I was never afraid of these things until about 5 years ago, which I now think are there because of the PTSD escalating anxiety.

I never could drive. And I always had problems using the telephone. If I have to I can do it, but it really is a challenge for me. This has always accompanied me though, but with PTSD it is worse. With PTSD I am just much more frightened of things. Scary movies? No way.

I think if we are confronted with a certain issue or problem and it is not solvable then the anxiety can take over and leave little room to maneuver. Therefore avoidance becomes a method to deal with the stress.

I almost chose the first one, phobias unrelated, but then I remembered a traumatic event that it likely came from.

I fear those metal gratings on sidewalks, sewer covers, metal grated bridges. The event was a walk I took with my siblings - we three younger ones (3, 5 and 7) followed our older brother when he ran away from home. I don't know how far we got, but there must have been metal grates in our path before a police car pulled up beside us.

Speaking of driving, I get intensely triggered when I am a passenger in a car. I haven't been in a car accident... I just can not handle being a passenger, not in control of the wheel. I have gigantic panic attacks like they are going out of style. Like I think that the person is going to crash and kill us at any moment.

I have this same issue, but no control issues besides this. I just detest being a passenger. It feels so completely unsafe.

Driving under those big construction cranes... never bothered me before but now all I think of is them falling.
Cranes terrify me! I don't want to even see them. I was in Toronto last year and there were constructuion cranes around every corner! Ugly, horrifying, beastly things.

I have a severe phobia of snakes, however, that used to not be the case. When I was 8 years old (about 5 years after I started developing symptoms) I was fascinated with snakes. One day on a school trip ,I went to a reptile exhibit, had a panic attack and developed the phobia I have now. I think this may have been caused by a nightmare (that I still have to this day) involving snakes that I started having about 3 years prior to the incident. Very strange..

Other...

My trauma based fears are pretty self explanatory/easily linked, but many if not most of my pre-trauma fears no longer exist.

I'm afraid of most people. Makes sense because my parents abused me so it generalised and I assume new people will hurt me in some way. Actually have a fear of Abandonment too, the trauma bonding runs deep. Also have fear of choking, noisy busy places and being raped.

Kmn :banghead: lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back