• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Do You Have PTSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manic11

MyPTSD Pro
All of us, at least at one point or another, struggle with admitting that we have PTSD.
Personally, this week has been a major struggle for me with that. And after coming across a thread recently that has to do with this subject, I began to think.... The most important step in healing is being able to admit that these events have happened. And willing to admit that PTSD is a part of our lives...
I am making this thread as, sort of, a way for some to make that step and to see how others have already made that step...
So... Are you able to say "I have PTSD"?

Manic

Great job Manic.

I believe talking about your issues will make you stronger and you will gain control again.
I have PTSD it doesn't have me.

Take care.

FIRE.

Yes, I have PTSD.. To be honest, it was a relief when I got the diagnosis, because for years and years prior, I believed that I was just crazy.

Ok, so I am still crazy, but now, it's when I want to be...LOL!!!!!

Hi Manic,

As with everything else in life.....once we can put a name to "it" we can begin our healing process.

The first steps in any kind of "healing" are acknowledgement, understanding and acceptance........Once we have passed through that we can begin to deal with and begin the healing process.

PTSD is part of your everyday life.......but it doesn't define you as a person.......Every day is different and yet similar but you always have to begin each day by saying "today, ptsd will not win, I am stronger and will not let it overpower my life"

Frankie

Hi Manic11, I found that once I was properly diagnosed with PTSD, I was mentally able to get on with the healing (whereas before the diagnosis, I couldn't see my way clear to face healing), but one of the hardest things I have had to do was actually tell people out loud that I have PTSD. It took some time, but it has gotten easier as time goes on.

So yes, I can stand up and say 'I have PTSD'

ihave bouts of depression and have done all my life. Or at least as far back as i can remember. theres an admission. However, the world changed in 1996. Sunday April 21st. I survived a car crash that made the blues brothers look like childrens enertainers. I had a perfectly normal response to it and developed ppost traumatic stress. Normal. It stayed and did not go away. It has never gone away. This is also quite normal. Bummer ey? Therefore it is a disorder. I have PTSD.

I have ptsd....wish I didn't though. But it could be worse....I could still be listening to all those crazy people just telling me there was something wrong with me because no one understood or even cared enough to try....instead, I have ptsd, didn't ask for it, but identifying the real problem means being able to treat the real issues.

She-Cat said it best.

I was relieved to find out I have PTSD. I have been mis-diagnosed for years, so finally finding out the correct cause of everything I'm dealing with is a relief.

I've been Dx 3x now...but I recently saw a new tdoc who told me that I didn't have PTSD...after talking to her for only 45 minutes. That fired me up! Apparently I appeared too "calm" to her...mostly b/c of the anxiety meds I'm on which bring me down a notch or two.

So yes, I can say "I have PTSD" and when people tell me I don't, it really pushes my buttons. Being Dx with PTSD was like receiving a crucial piece of the puzzle...without it, I feel lost....I know that sounds weird, but for someone who has been struggling for so many years with the wrong Dx, finally receiving the right Dx has brought me some peace of mind.

I don't know what to say. I am thankful that I found out that what I have experienced is very much "normal" for ptsd, but I only used the words "ptsd" once to one person, in an e-mail (and they never said anything back, about it).

If I thought it would help someone, I would, but I haven't so far (including to one person I know with ptsd).

I did, however, relate to another person I know who I believe definitely has it, though she herself didn't use that term (but gang raped 6 years ago, and has all the 'great ptsd' symptoms we all know so well). She is like an angel to me, popping up out of the blue. It was the first time (in person) I could see that someone could have ptsd and really be lovable.

I don't like the fact there is no cure. I am still sort of in denial on that one.

I hate the term "mental illness". I feel "normal". An 'oddball', but not like the stigma that's so commonly associated with (all different) forms of mental illness.

I wouldn't dare tell a family member, they would blame me/ ridicule me no end, not to mention they would never again "see" me through anything but "ptsd glasses". -No thanks. Not unless I got a lot stronger, anyway.

I definately am ok with saying I have ptsd....I would say it is easier here because I feel like people understand. Most people really do not understand IMO unless youhave experienced the sheer terror that it can lead peole to feeling if left untreated. As Dr. Phil would say "You cannot change what you do not acknowledge":wall:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back