• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll Do You Have the Urge to Run When Upset?

Do You Have the Urge to Run When Upset?

• Yes, I often have the urge to run, and I have run off many times.

Votes: 122 63.9%
  • I sometimes have the urge to run.

Votes: 51 26.7%
  • I used to have the urge to run, but it's under control now.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I have never felt like running off.

Votes: 7 3.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Evie - I am there now with this and fighting not to run. Sometimes I will even physically run away which as you know with asthma has destructive effects which is probably my intent? I will post this and won't delete - i will, i will...

I used to run away and walk the streets very late at night. But over the years I have wanted to run away.... forever like. pack up, new name, new identity, new everything.

Wow thanks all for the answers, sorry I haven't responded much. I've been very unsure of myself with responding to threads lately, even my own!! Anyways it's been really great to hear, once again, that I'm not the only one who does this. And Lisa I really relate to the walking the streets at night. I used to do that a LOT when I lived alone in the city. I walked through dangerous neighbours and everything, didn't care at all, I was just so depressed and anxious that I didn't care about anything at all. And Claire, totally relate to the energy thing too. It feels like pent-up energy for me too oftimes.

I have just manged for the 1st time not to run away - my partner and I seperated! I am still here and have not quit anything - amazing! But yeah I would normally run and not look back!

Fight or flight, that is definitely me. But it is mostly a feeling inside these days, wanting, aching, to run far away, esp. when the s-kidz are raging.... but my physical body stays stuck like super glue to my bed : / My logical mind knows I have nowhere to go.

Wow! I am amazed, I am a new maybe member, I'm being checked out, and I thought I was the only person in the world who wants to quit, sell the townhouse and hit the road! I won't do it, because I can't out-run depression, but it sure would feel good at times.

I like the mini-run-aways that were discussed. I don't mean mentally. I mean physically taking a day or two and going anywhere that is mind changing, beach, mountains, even museum might do in a pinch!

Chissi

I don't really know what is going on with me at the moment. But I have an incredible urge to run away. I don't have any plans. I don't know where I would go. I just feel like i need to get away from these 4 walls and get away from me. I know it's not the answer. How can I run away from myself? Where ever I go, my broken mind will come too.

I usually start to run, (get in my truck and start the engine) then suddenly, sadly realize that I've no place left to go... That is the pathetic truth of it.

I have a place to go - but it's over a thousand miles away and buried in snow right now. It's my happy place and it's not set up for year round living. I'm not even sure if it would be my safe haven if I were there year-round. The best I can do is spend the summers there.

There is no well, no running water, no septic system, no power, no heat and no air. It's as raw as the land was when the indians roamed free. It's my sanctuary, my own private campground just for me.

We all need a safe place ...

We all need a safe place in the physical world or in a mindscape.

I have learned to run as a safety valve. Before during my many trauma's it was survival - today it is time and distance to gain perspective or try to center myself.

I have a series of places to go, a day retreat (2hr drive to a stream in Vermont in a National Forest); a local state park (5 min. away - another stream); Multiple days - I go for Ocean and Beach: warm or cold.

Night time can be harder to get out - I have the woods behind my house, I actually have place a chair there about a hundred yards from my back door :). Car ride to anywhere with soothing music.

When I wake with severe panic and anxiety sometimes the only thing I want and need is to go outside and breathe, seeing the sky tells me I'm free and I'm here - not where my head is.

My mindscapes; snorkelling in the Caribbean, Sitting on a hot ocean beach, are used to release me anytime, anywhere. Whenever I am imploding in a stressful setting (for me) I try to regain composure by drifting off into the ocean setting which has a deep restorative meaning to me. I consciously have to use this to 1. get to the dentist, 2. stay at the dentist, 3. manage my sheer panic throughout the dentist visit. (And this is with sedatives :()

I don't look at this as running away or denying but a management tool for all occasions.

um, a huge yes from me. I always run, I've been running since I was 15. I've run half way across the country and back. God, that is all I do is run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back