• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll Do You Have Trouble Understanding Humour?

Do You Have Trouble Understanding Humour?

• Yes, I am usually the last person to get a joke.

Votes: 15 20.3%
  • Yes, I often have trouble with humour but I am getting better.

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • Sometimes I have trouble with humour and/or I have trouble with certain types of humour only.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • No, I understand most humour.

Votes: 30 40.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you have delayed speech as a child? That's one of the major indicators of autism vs. aspergers. Kids with aspergers tend to speak at a normal age or even younger, whereas kids with autism usually have severe speech delays and need speech therapy. I wasn't speaking properly until around 6 or 7.

No, my parents told me my speaking abilities developed slightly faster than average. I googled the word neurotypical, and based on the Wikipedia definition it is not a word I would use to describe myself.

I'm into sarcasm & satire. I don't get slapstick comedy or premeditated jokes. I actually get quite anxious when someone says I'm going to tell a joke, because I just know I'm not going to get it. I won't laugh. I don't laugh at comedys where it's all set up & staged. I get so anxious that I go blank and don't know where the punchline is, and often am the last to get it. Depending on the company I may ask for clarification but often I fake it by laughing with everyone else.

And BTW, who the hell is Data & Spock?

I am a bit strange when it comes to humour. I usually get it, and can give it...and understand humour quite well.

However, there are situations where I really struggle. The first reason is my hearing... sometimes if I'm in a loud place and concentrating on hearing someone, I'm concentrating so hard I just hear things very literally. In situations like that I miss jokes. But also, when I'm overloaded, and 'shutting down' or in a fugue state, I find it very hard to make sense of things, and find myself only understand very literal talk as well. In these cases I actually can appear rude myself, because I'm expressionless and communicating very simplistically.

And BTW, who the hell is Data & Spock?

Characters from the TV program "Star Trek". Data - an android who has no emotion however tries to understand emotion. Spock - an alien whose race suppresses emotions. Spock is half human though, so he struggles with emotions.

Jim.

I heard something about his character being created to be autistic, or have autistic traits or something? not sure... it was a while ago I saw the doc!

Which character Lisa? Spock or Data or some other character? That's cool though if it's true, I didn't know that.

From the results of this poll so far, I'm seeing the large majority of people seem to understand humour fine or have minimal problems. Maybe it's mostly an autistic problem of mine then. Anyways though it's good for me to know either way and I appreciate everyone's input.

Hey Evie - it was Spock.

I can't remember exactly now the details around this, which is frustrating.... sorry about that!!

Hi Batgirl,

As a high school teacher who often deals with students' autism needs, I find that what you have said relates to almost every one of my autistic kids. Granted I'm no doctor, but I do know that thinking literally and not "getting" common humor is VERY common among people with autism. Don't worry, though, you're not missing much...most of the time peoples' jokes aren't even that funny!

nic

I don't have much trouble getting other people's humor, except for perhaps puns. I just don't see them as funny. My problem is that I see humor in almost everything else and most other people do not. I have a very dry sense of humor and most people look at me like I have three heads at quite a few of my jokes. I just say less of them now and have a laugh to myself or I call my sister..who always gets my jokes.

I am a nanny, with most of my experience caring for special needs children. One boy was diagnosed with Asperger's when I was his nanny. Finding what would make him laugh was quite a challenge for me, but was so very rewarding when I succeeded. I had the advantage of knowing him very well since I cared for he and his brother for 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back