• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Do You Hear Anything Whilst Going Into Sleep Paralysis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Binkie

Learning
Hi all,

Do you hear anything whilst going into sleep paralysis? I am not talking about hypnogogic hallucinations.

The first sign I get that I'm going into SP is like a 'whooshing' noise deep inside my ears. If you clench your jaw really tight, you will probably hear it too. I am not aware that I am clenching my teeth when this happens, but I might be.

Do you hear a similar noise?

Not usually, no.

Just more aware of the regular tinnitus, the sounds around me, and too happy I get to the state I'm even ready to sleep to care.

I don't get any notice at all, it just happens, though I must say with me its often either causing or caused by a panic attack in my sleep, so all I know is nightmare --> sleep paralysis.

I have experienced sleep paralysis. In fact , for the past few days I've been getting it pretty rough. Sometimes you can take control and turn it into an amazing lucid dream but for me when I experience sleep paralysis it's just panic and my thoughts are zipping past me. So if I'm telling myself to calm down I will be for a second but then it zips away and I forget and there's so much rushing..

Anyways. I've heard cabinets open and close, I've heard my friend talk to me. I've felt like I was suffocating.

Though I must also add, I do experience other auditory hallucinations when it's not during sleep paralysis. I've read that some people experience this when they're on the verge to fall asleep but that's not what I experience. Just whenever I'm tired. I can be in the cafe feeling tired after the day but I'm not tired enough to fall asleep. I know I'm getting tired when I start hearing things. Some are obvious like I'll hear some guy talking or someone reading out their grocery list. Other times I'll hear a train passing by. I've heard a dog leash fall off the bed and I'm used to being around dogs so I asked my friend why we had a leash on the bed. She had to tell me there was no leash even after I checked myself.

I never get it while on my way to sleep - I get it coming up out of sleep - so I don't think I hear anything, certainly nothing I'm aware of. And yes: it is horrible. I still forget that it's what's happening. And I know it's what's happening. But I cannot for the life of me condition myself to remember that it's a thing called sleep paralysis. I really believe I'm immobilized and there's a living shadow on my bed, or in the corner. It's exhausting. Hate. It.

a living shadow
I haven't had sleep paralysis in years, but my mind would always conjure up a supernaturally huge spider--like the size of a cat, usually crouched in the corner--as the "explanation" for why my legs wouldn't move. Like the spider drained a bunch of my blood while I was napping and now my limbs were asleep.

I get that strange feeling before I get sleep paralysis and then a real loud gushing noise in my ears.i shout for help,but no-one hears me....I think its part of dissociation

I've gotten noise in my ears before falling asleep. I used to think I had fluid in them or was getting an ear infection. I suggest putting in ear phones and listen to something relaxing. I have to do that along with use medication or I only get a couple of hours of sleep. Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back